Is it rude to go to church if you're an atheist?

I'm definitely an agnostic atheist (meaning I lack a belief in any god and I also believe it is humanly impossible to know whether one exists). But for some strange reason, lately I have been feeling an urge to go to church (and wishing I did believe but that's another story)! My friend invited me to visit her church with her, and I went, but for some reason I felt like I was intruding. Is this wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You are not intruding. Church is open to everyone. I am happy that you are going, and I am sure your friend is too : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I know exactly what you are talking about. I later realized it is because I lacked feeling like part of community.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I don't think so... If you have an urge, then go!!!! To be completely honest, I've never felt completely comfortable in any church I've attended... I'd like to believe, and I pray, and read the Bible, but somethings are so hard to believe... If you'd like to talk more (I would) then message me....
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 8:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I think you should have every right to go to church if you want to! Maybe God is pointing that out to you! Doesn't mean to rush in to believing! Take your time!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 8:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Only if you interrupt the sermon and engage the pastor/preacher in debate.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Whoever you are, I think we're twins! I'm an agnostic atheist as well. I thought I was the only one here on CM :P

And no, I think if someone invites you it's not intruding at all. My fiance is agnostic as well, and we went to a mass for the year anniversary of his mom's death.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Maybe you actually felt out of place, not "intruding". You can feel out of place whenever you go someplace teaching something new. It'll seem like everyone there understands and agrees with what is being said...you...not so much.

Go back a few more times to let that "newness" wear off before you decide if that church is right for you.

As for engaging the pastor/preacher in debate, if you make an appointment with them, often they are happy to have a one-on-one meeting to answer your questions. Maybe ask your friend to join you at this meeting if you make one.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 9:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• not at all. so long as you can respect the service & those worshiping...its all good :D

i never feel right at a church until i get to know the ppl & how welcoming they are.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I think that it is wonderful that you ave a friend that loves you enough to share the faith in God with her. I am also happy that you felt the urge to go. God loves and honors honest hearts.
    Sometimes we feel like intruders because we are hearing what is happening with our spiritual hearts and ears and also seeing maybe for the first time with spirital eyes.
    I am happy for you that you went;and hope that you fight against the uneasiness and continue to seek after Him. You won't be sorry.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 9:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• No you are not intruding. It sounds like you are being drawn and that is just fine! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2009