Am I under-feeding my baby???

My son is 8 months old. He has been on solid foods since 6 months, and he is not a picky eater by any means....except he is not ready for stage 3 foods yet. He has no teeth. His pediatrician said that babies are supposed to double their birth weight at 6 mo, and triple it at 1 year. My son was 9.5 lbs at birth, and 22 inches long. Now he is 8 months old, 29 inches long, and 19 lbs. He has just now doubled his b.w., and he does not look skinny to me at all, but he is long...am I underfeeding him? Every day he has three bottles, 4-5 4-oz jars of baby food and baby cereal. Please help :) no bashing please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your baby is perfectly healthy. Feed him when he is hungry, making sure he is getting most of his diet from formula. My DS was born at 6lbs 15oz. At 6 months he was 13.5 lbs. at 9 months he was 14.5. He is almost a year old and we will be lucky if he is 17lbs (we will find out at his well baby visit). Don't worry about his size as long as he is meeting all of his other milestones.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 10:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Remember that the formula takes precedence over the solids. BUT...look at the baby, NOT the scale. Scales LIE.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Just becuse he is Suppose to do somehting doesn't means your needs to. Is he happy and healthy, then don't worry. Mine double in way differnt time aswell and they are both healthy beutiful girls now.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My kids look chunky but don't weigh much. @ 12 months my oldest girl weighed 15 pounds BW 6 10:::@7 months my second girl weighed 11 pounds BW 7 2:::@ 6 months my third girl is 16 pounds BW was 7 pounds even. If he looks healthy and he is meeting his milestones I wouldn't worry.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• his milestones are met at the right times and he is a very healthy and content child that likes to eat and sleep. guess i really shouldn't worry. maybe i read too much! :) thank you for all the advice ladies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2009