anyone want to share?

I am starting to write a book to try to help people that take care of a sick or disabled loved one. If anyone has any personal stories or things that they wouldn't mind sharing (and being used in a book) please share your story here! Thanks so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I don't have a personal experience, but I'll pass on something that happened to my mom when she was taking care of my grandma who had pancreatic cancer and dementia.

My grandma was living with my mom and dad. (dad's mom)  She had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and had some other issues as well.  One of those issues was dementia.  She had bouts of not recognizing my dad (her son) and thinking he was her brother.  A few times, mom told me she thought she was still a teenager living on the family farm.

But, in between these bouts of haziness, she was just like she always was.  It was on one of the "normal" days that mom took her out to shop.  cont...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• They were in the clothing department and looking at the racks of items. Mom's back was turned, so she didn't at first see that my grandma had taken off her shirt to try on something from the rack. Right out in front of the whole store; like she was in a fitting room.

Mom got her blouse on her as quick as possible. She never took her out shopping after that.

My grandma died a painful death. (Michael Landon died of pancreatic cancer, too.) and wasn't lucid much in the last days.

I miss her.
    Anonymous

• When I was 15, I took care of my Grandma who was dying from Liver cancer. My mom worked full time, I was the only one who stayed home with her. I had the support of Hospice, which was the only way I stayed sane. I actually got kicked out of high school for lack of attendance. My school was not supportive at all.

Yes, I was the one who changed her undergarmets, washed her, fed her until she went into a coma, I administered her meds. ect. I was the one who did it all. I would have done anything for her, and I did.

glittersteph

Answer by glittersteph at 12:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I remember the day she passed like yesterday. It was shortly after my 16th b-day. My Grandma had been in a coma for a few days, my hospice nurses had been prepping me for what was to come. Still, I was just a kid. I keep thinking she would pass peacefully in her sleep.

I was sitting at our dining room table making Gramma a wind chime for our her window. Gramma was in our front room in a hospital bed, I was right next to her. She coughed a little, so I went over and snuggled with her. I told her it was ok to go, that I loved her with all of my heart. She took her last breath after I said that.

Obviously there is much more to my story, if you like you can PM me and I will tell you more. I love the idea for your book. When your taking care of a loved one, you need all the support you can get.

glittersteph