Why is it that for some women no matter what we do we stay overweight?

What can I do to be skinny!? Do I have to sell my soul to the devil or something!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Because, realistically, you're not doing "everything" to lose weight. Caloric restriction + exercise = weight loss. Either you're not exercising enough (both in time and intensity), or you're not eating right. Or both.

Not being a bitch, just being realistic.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 7:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• you have to exercise. thats the most important thing, especially cardio. besides that, you need to cut out the bad carbs - bread cereal pasta etc. - until youve lost the weight, then you can eat them occasionally. eat fruits, veggies, and most important - lots of protein - chicken, turkey, egg whites, tuna fish, steak, fish, nuts - and eat it before and after you work out because it builds muscle and eats fat. drink as much water as you possibly can. try a diet pill if you want - mega-t green tea pills worked for me. you need to burn more calories then you eat every day.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Sometimes it's genetic.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:43 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• . In order to get to and maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    Start with regular exercise (which you probably already do), as simple as walking, for at least 20 min a day at least 3 times a week. Next, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Now, eat your fruits & veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 6-7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat & dairy. Add beans, lentils & tofu to your diet. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big salad before meals

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Women were never meant to be skinny. We are supposed to have a layer of fat.

Everyone's body is different. You have to find what works for your body. I lose at least a pound per week, and I eat everything and everything. I watch my calories. I don't cut "bad" foods (with the exception of regular soda). I eat enough calories to keep my body going. If I don't eat enough calories, I don't lose weight.

The best way to sabotage weight loss is to "ban" certain foods from your diet. The key is moderation. You can certainly eat bread, pasta, even ice cream and an occasional candy bar or soda. If you treat certain foods as "bad" foods, you crave them even more. No food is bad in small quantities.

Here's a good website for you to determine just how many calories you should be consuming on a daily basis:

http://nutrition.about.com/od/changeyourdiet/a/calguide.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i have felt the same way u do too! But I sat down and really looked at what was going in my mouth ! It would surprise u how much u are eating. I could not loose any weight it seemed until I got real with my self and truly dedicated my self to the weight loss. I did WW and lost 32 lbs. If u eat more calories then you are burning u are gaining. If u eat less u are loosing. That is a fact. U will loose weight. Now depending on genetics and all that will determine if u loose fast or slow. Just be truthful with your self.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Keeping a food diary is a great idea. Write down everything that you put in your mouth for a week. See where you are on any nutritional pyramid; I think that the Canadian one is very good: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/basics-base/quantit-eng.php

Then see how may calories you are averaging a day (I do not advocate counting calories, though)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:36 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• watch The Doctors today. That is what the show is about today. It's on at 2 central time. If you don't get it where you live they will have it on their website after the show airs. www.thedoctorstv.com

Answer by admckenzie at 11:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It takes 3500 calories to make one pound. So to loose that pound you have to burn 3500 calories. I don't go by traditional diets. I've always lived by a high protein high fiber diet. Lots of fruits and veggies. And if I'm going to have a bread or pasta, I go for whole wheat. I also treat myself to ONE meal ONCE a week to look forward to. I can have whatever I want- but ONLY during that meal..not an all day affair. That way you know you will get something you love once a week no mater what and it gives you something to look forward too. Lots of cardio but weight training is important as well because it will build muscle...which eats fat. Once you get to where you want to be, your metabolism should be burning calories than it used to even when you are just watching tv. It's a tough road to be over weight believe me, it's a battle i've faced my whole life, but nothing is to hard to overcome. Be real with yourself and make a plan.
    lkratzmeyer

Answer by lkratzmeyer at 4:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I hate to say this, but Mousuke is right. I would try more exercise and doing some research on a proper diet (as in lifestyle not a weight loss diet). You may also have slower metabolism and need to kick that up a notch.

Not eating right can involve: not eating the right foods, eating too much, not eating enough, eating at the wrong times of day, a combination of all those things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009