If u homeschool, how do u protect your kid when they turn 18?

wat happens when they move out? you can't keep them away from the public esp if they want to be there and working right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• please don't homeschool your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Why would you want to wall your child off from the world? Even if you homeschool you still need to socialize your child to be around others and know how to be a productive and compassionate citizen!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• The only way they socialize is if they're like the Duggars, with a million kids lol.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 9:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Are you talking about homeschool kids not being socialized? If you are then you need to educate yourself on homeschooling. Just because children are homeschooled does not mean they are never around other kids.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Why would you want to keep them from the world. Homeschooling your child just to protect them from the outside is seriously going to mess them up. You should be teaching them skills to live in the real world as they are growing up not letting them live in a bubble.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• there are a lot of other ways to socialize like town soccer team, swim classes, going to the park
    I thought about homeschooling I'm still having the thought in my head I've decided to use Montessori instead for right now-- I want my child to be educated on all views not just mine however I only want her to have my Values which is why Public school is not an option right now
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I don't think most people who homeschool do it to keep their kids away from the public--they do it because they want to be the ones in control of their child's education, and when you send your kids to a public (read: government) school, you don't have that. It used to be that schools taught the basic subjects--reading, writing, arithmetics, etc--and that was it. But now, you have schools teaching children what to believe politically, religiously, and beyond, and that should be up to parents.. Just an example--there was a school in California earlier this year that inacted a "homosexuality education" program for Kindergarten on up, then told parents they could NOT opt their child out. It's one thing to teach children about kindness to others, but this was more than that. And I'm not saying I would opt my own child out, but a school pushing beliefs that contradict a family's moral and/or religious beliefs, is not okay.
    AutumnBlessing

Answer by AutumnBlessing at 9:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Homeschooling does not equal sheltering your child. There are co-ops, groups, you can put your child in sports.

With the way public education is now I would rather "shelter" my child, at least I will know he/she is learning something other then how to pass a standardized test...

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• you're assuming that's the point of homeschooling, and you're wrong.

and you're also implying that kids are equally as ready at five to handle what they can at 18. or that no readiness can take place outside of the traditional school setting. that's wrong, too.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Tere are lots of people that home school in order to keep their children from certain influences. The problem is, when those children leave the house, they are unequipped to handle life's challenges.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2009