showering/batheing with your baby

i'm wondering if any other moms do this with their babies? my nurse said it's ok but never said at what age to stop? my son is 5 months old and i have found this is an effective and easy way for both of us to get clean. he screams if i put him in his bouncer outside the shower but if i bring him in with me he is totally content. i'm just hoping i'm not scaring him for life by doing this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, you're not scaring him for life! LOL! My little guy is almost 2 and he still takes a bath with mommy. I believe the time to stop is when they start noticing bodily differences. I think most people agree this is somewhere between 3 and 4.

Right now the only thing my little guy points out on me is my belly. He pats his belly and says belly and then pats my belly and says belly. If he starts noticing my boobs or anything else, then it will probably be strictly showering with daddy from that point on. But for now it's harmless.

And it IS so easy isn't it? Once my little guy could sit up I'd get out and do my makeup and hair etc and let him stay in the tub and play. That way he had something entertaining to do while mom was getting ready.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i dont think so..he still too young to really realize what it is..i would stop when he starts to get a little too curious
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with it. Two is a safe age. Between age 2 & 4 is the time to stop. I guess it depends on the child.
    Jennb82

Answer by Jennb82 at 10:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• my son is 15 m/o. I havent taken a bath with him in a long time, but the reason is because we recently moved and the tubs in the new house are too small for me lol. but we shower together a lot. he loves it! i get to wash myself and him all in one shot, and he is content playing with his bath toys and I sing to him or talk to him. i'd think the "age" to stop is when you just...don't feel comfortable. babies dont understand "woah mom's naked" they just see "mommy" =)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i agree with all of the above answers, i too take my baby in the shower with me and it makes life just a little easier. I put her in a bath seat facing away from the spray and quickly shower up. she seems to love it and playing with her toys in the tub.
    NewMomKelly

Answer by NewMomKelly at 10:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• scaring him for life? that's hilarious! i have never heard of a human having memories before the age of 2, so I think you are in the clear! i never worried about showering when i had my first baby a year ago. YOU need to shower and change your clothing and do everything you did before baby. baby will be fine (yes, even if wide awake) while you take a shower. as long as you limit your shower to 5 minutes or so. just place them in their crib which(if you have a modern crib)should meet all safety requirements and go take your shower. it's no biggy! obviously if your baby was premature and has breathing issues etc. you should wait for them to nap and then hop in the shower. it is necessary for your well-being to have that shower!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Emi's 9 months and the ONLY way she'll take a bath is with me.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 2:09 AM on Aug. 10, 2009