can you be in labor even if your water doesnt break.

i was just wondering.i know it might be somewhat of a dumb question but i have pain sometimes and constant pressure on my bladder so i was wondering could labor be closer than i thought or could there be something wrong where they have to break my water because its not breaking for some reason?im 37 weeks by the way and wondering.sorry its my first.

Desi2Sweet

Asked by Desi2Sweet at 10:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• they can break your water for you at the hospital so yes you can.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• You will feel like you are in labor. I went to see the Dr. for a checkup and she said I was in labor and completely ready. And would most likely have the baby by the next afternoon. Ended up having to be induced three weeks later, and that was on the actual due date. The Dr. broke the water just a few hours before I had my baby girl. It is not painful. It's the labor following the water breaking that increases.
    In most cases the Dr. will break the water.
    Jennb82

Answer by Jennb82 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I had constant pain and pressure for the last month of pregnancy, I carried on week over but when my water did break and labor started my son was born with in an hour so good luck.
    ohiomomx3

Answer by ohiomomx3 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i noe but i mean how would you know if your in labor if your water hasnt broke.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 10:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• VERY few labors start with SPROM (spontaneous premature rupture of membranes) so it is VERY possible (actually highly likely) to be in labor without your water breaking.

Having said that... I personally dont think that you are necessarily anywhere near labor. Pressure on your bladder & your water breaking are two completely different things. It is typical at 37 weeks to have alot of bladder pressure because your bladder is right under the baby's head so there is pressure being placed on it at pretty much all times. Your water will HOPEFULLY not break this early. Your baby needs a little more time to grow and to ensure that his/her lungs are fully developed
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Oh sweetie, I just read your other question... you would know because you would be contracting and, most likely, in horrible pain.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I was in labor for about 12 hours before the doctor broke my water. It is possible.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• When you start having shooting cramping pains that get 4-5mins apart consistantly for over an hr you are in labor and should go to the hospital. They than will check your cervix and if your contractions are getting stronger and you are dilating than congrats your having a baby! My water broke on its own at 7cms dilated with both my kids. Best of luck hun! Also congrats!
    EliseMichelle

Answer by EliseMichelle at 10:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Your water doesn't have to break at all, babies can be born in the caul (in the sack).
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2009