anyone elses baby did/do this?

my 2 month old has always sucked on her fists from day one..she even gave herself a hickey on her hand while she was still in the hospital..but now she just started this new thing where she opens her fists in her mouth and gags herself with her fingers..not to the point that she spits up or anything..should i try to get her to stop putting her fists in her mouth? or is it just a phase?

MaciesMommy09

Asked by MaciesMommy09 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you talked to your their pedi?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• my youngest brother was actually born with a blister below one of his thumbs from so much sucking. my 8 month old actually was born without a complete left hand (fingers didnt form long story if you wanna know, feel free to ask). anyway as much as i tried for months to get him to quit sucking on it (bc it easily fits in mouth), it was no use. he still does to this day. i guess its their way of pacifying themselves. ur daughter is still learning consequences of things, so itll take many times before she realizes that finger too far back gag her....
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My daughter did this around your daughters age. She stopped after awhile but will do it every now and then. I think its just one of those silly baby things.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My son used to "scrub" his fist across his mouth when he was hungry.

Maybe it's her sign she wants to eat.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Oh Lord, yes. She'd stick them so far in she'd gag. Sometimes she'd get them stuck lol. It's not hurting them unless it's making them constantly vomit or something. She grew out of it. Now her fists are too chubby to stick all the way in her mouth lol.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 10:49 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• mostly a phase. My daughter did it... but then I just put those hand mitt things on (the ones to keep them from scratching themselves) and she eventually stopped. My pedi told me that there was nothing wrong with her or anything... just that she was figuring stuff out...
    KayKayaputie

Answer by KayKayaputie at 11:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My 11 week old does this everyday!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• mine does it too and she is 11 weeks
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 4:00 AM on Aug. 10, 2009