Do you consider a child that is almost

6 and not knowing their ABC's neglect? The child is completely able with no known developmental issues.

MotherHubbard78

Asked by MotherHubbard78 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes. Unless he hasn't been tested for any developmental issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• No. Some kids just aren't good with that kind of memorization. It's takes some children longer than others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• No--- we are not required by law to school until 7 years old (In mine and most States) My DD this summer was taught her abc's and knows them for K starting in 3 weeks however prior to this summer I vested my time in the hands on experiences-- the museums, zoo, farms, the library, broadway, NYC Canada,
    my dd at 3 could tell you the differences in butterfly types and could tell you breasts are to feed a baby after it comes out of your tummy ... a lion vs a tiger
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• No. It could be something. My son is dyslexic and had lots of trouble with that kind of stuff.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• YES, WHEN MY CHILD WAS 6 SHE COULD RECITE BY MEMORY ALL THE BOOKS OF THE BIBLE, AND SHE HAS CEREBRAL PALSY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Anon :00 that's great for your child, but not all children are your child.

It depends. Honestly, here, mandatory school age isn't until 7. And, children mature at different rates. The child may not have been tested yet for any developmental delays. He may have an issue that affects his ability to read. Etc. Too many unknowns to tell if it is educational neglect or not.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:30 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Wow my son was expected to know his abc's in preschool (4 yrs old) where do you all live?
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• my 6 year old kinda knows them....she just has more important things to think about. my 8 year old picked it up much faster - but she's a completely different kid - she's a bookworm.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:15 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• No, not necessarily. Most children will learn their letters in Kindergarten but many start school, not knowing much of anything. I think that using the term child neglect over something other than REAL abuse is taking it too far. In fact, if this child truly doesnt know his abc's at 6, then I would suspect that he might have a learning disability. Has he NOT been in school? Six yrs old is first grade and unless his parents chose not to allow him in prek or k, he would just now be legally required to go to school. I dont think we should make judgment calls like that. Many kids work much slower than others. I have a child who is extremely advanced and one who is somewhat delayed and two in between. SO I have perspective on all sides of the fence. Lets not judge.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• No, not every child learns the same way. I knew a 5 year old who could tie her shoes better then her 7 year old sister. The mother went over it and over it with her daughter and she just couldn't get it. The 5 year old sister some how taught her sister better then anyone else because with in a few days her sister had it. Now the child might not be able to move up a grade until the child leanrs the ABC's but I would not go as far as say the child was neglected.
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 12:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2009