tantrums with my soon to be year old son. how can i help this? hes hurting himself!

ok so my son zachery*first child and only* has been throwing terrible fits. from biteing and scratching me and himself to hair pulling on his end and mine and recently smashing his head into the tile floor. and i mean smashing. face first and just flat out whacking it*the back side* he just drops like dead weight and wham! and then whales cuz hes hurting himself. i do my best to ignore it but, as a mom i feel terrible cause i know that shit hurts. you should hear the thuds!! hes doing it do often and hard the back of his heads bruising. how do i get him to stop. and the biteing! wow, yea, hes drew blood from me 2x now! i lightly smack his cheek and say ouch no bite. it works every once in a while. but now he just laughs at me. honestly, i need advice! because i cant take watching him do it, my poor sweet boy is slowly turning into the devil and hes being self destructive while he does it. :(

chris-s-wife

Asked by chris-s-wife at 11:28 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You may need to speak with his ped. about this and get him tested for any issues. Until then, I would place him in his crib or playpen when he loses it. At least then he can't really physically injure himself. Also speak softly to him and see if that helps him through it.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• you need to discipline, and stay on it! when my son hits me i hit him back. when he bites me i bite him back as well. let him know who's boss. get down to his level and tell him NO!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I would have him tested for autisim. Autistic children sometimes exhibit these behaviors.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:56 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I would talk to his doctor, that sounds a little more then a behavior issues. I agree with above I would still continue what form of discipline you are doing, but put him in a safe place when he is throwing a fit.
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 11:50 AM on Aug. 10, 2009