Need help with homeschooling

My little sis needs to repeat her freshman year of high school, and wants to do homeschooling instead of going back to the public high school. She just is not getting the help she needs at the high school, and wasn't able to take summer school because her counselor never signed her papers. Anyone know any programs that are still accepting enrollment? We looked into the k12 program, but they are no longer accepting enrollments for their free program, and my parents can't afford to pay for her to go to school. She really needs to do homeschool to catch up, and so that she is able to get the help she needs. Thanks!

KadenTaeasmom

Asked by KadenTaeasmom at 11:33 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Check out HSLDA.com this site gives all the home school laws for each state. Look up Vegsource.com for used school curriculum.

There is a great book, What Your Child Needs to Know When.  It outlines what she should know and be learning for her grade.

Best wishes and Good Luck.

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• have you looked into ecott (not sure if that's spelled right or if it's called something different in other states). it's the online version of high school. i never used it personally but i have a few friends who had good results with it.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 1:11 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Are there any charter schools in the area? That way it's still free because it is technically a public school and is gov't funded, but you/parents actually do the curriculum with your child.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 1:21 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• BAD IDEA!
    Just saying from experience.
    If you absolutely must then buy proper curriculum and materials from a teachers supply store.
    Cant she go to a private school or just suck it up like everyone else?
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:24 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• check out connectionsacademy.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• http://www.connectionsacademy.com/wisconsin-school/free-online-public-school.aspx
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Thanks. I will check out those links.

Amber-Why is it a bad idea? Is it a better idea to let her fail high school because she is not getting the extra help she needs? Her guidance counselor is MIA most of the time, and doesn't return phone calls. Basically, the school district is not a very good one. When I got to college I was laughed at by a professor and told I would never succeed because I came from there.
    KadenTaeasmom

Answer by KadenTaeasmom at 10:25 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I suggest joining one of the awesome homeschool groups on here. they will be a big help to you!
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2009