How old were your kids when you started letting them take a bath alone?

My oldest is 2 1/2 and she's best friends with the little boy in the apartment above us who's the same age. His mom and I were talking out on our decks the other night when she goes "Oh, hang on, I think "N" needs me...he's in the bath."
Personally, I don't trust my 2 year old alone in the tub, but I'm wondering how old your kids are or will be when you let them take a bath alone? Am I wrong in thinking that 2 is too young?

beadingmom17

Asked by beadingmom17 at 11:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• my daughter is 3 1/2 when she was about 2 1/2 after i bathed her (washed hair, body face) i would go across the hall to my room or her room to pick up. now i still bathe her, then i go to her brothers room and give him his bath (he is still in his baby tub) while she plays. so i'm always close enough if i hear anything and we talk constantly across the house so i know she is above water. but as far as totally bathing alone and me being downstairs, her having to wash herself, probably not until shes at the least in kinder. maybe first grade. so we'll see it'll depend on her really.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I was def still bathing my son at two. It wasnt like one day I said to him Ok son now its your turn. It was a slow transition. I think he was five when he went totally alone to wash his own self. before that I would wash him then let him play in the tub while i left the room.
    I really dont think two is a safe age to leave in the tub alone simply due to the accidental scalding possibility. But everyones child has a different curiosity and she may know he wouldnt do that.
    when my son was two we were living in a place that had a ridiculously small water heater so it had to be turned up to almost boiling just to get a full hot shower so my son was never trusted alone in the tub. no sense in even taking a chance with it.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 12:52 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yeah, I don't trust my 2 year old alone with water. She has no fear whatsoever and can open/turn the knobs on just about ANYTHING, so I don't leave her alone for more than the time it might take to grab something from the hall and I can still see her from there! For me, knowing the little boy, I wouldn't chance it, but every mom is different in their comfort level with that stuff. I just wasn't sure if I was being crazy overprotective mom or not.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 1:02 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• WTF My daughter is 2 and 1/2 and I wouldn't even THINK of letting her take a bath by herself. That's way too young IMO. They're still clumsy little things, they could try to get out and slip. Not to mention trying to turn the faucets on and burning themselves! NO! NO! NO!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 2:43 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my daughter is about to turn 3 and shes been bathing [playing in the water] alone for a bit now. I scrub her down, wash her hair, and she'll sit there with just a lil bit of water and some toys, and she'll be fine. later she yells: "mom, READY'' lol and im right on it and dry her up. =) im always checking on her and theres never been anything to cause concerned. but to each parent their own... you know?
    Bebe510

Answer by Bebe510 at 3:57 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• 2 is too young. I think we let my DD around 4. But we had the door open and we still washed her hair ourselves. Her "bathing" alone was just playtime. And we could see her from the living room to make sure she's not standing up or doing anything that might put her in danger of falling. She knew she wasn't allowed to get out without us there. She was about 6 when she really started taking baths herself. Door still stays open even now.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:08 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• DD is 4 and doesn't bathe by herself. SS is 6, almost 7. He started bathing by himself alone in the bathroom a couple months ago. Before then DH would sit in there with him. I guess maybe we're just paranoid?
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 6:57 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My kids were 4 before I would leave them alone in the bathtub. Even at 4 I was not comfortable leaving the area and I had them sing ABC's or any song so I would know they are ok. When they stop singing I would tell them I have to hear them singing or it's time to get out. My daughter is 6 and I still make her sing because she is a daredevil and that frightens me.
    ardgg

Answer by ardgg at 7:02 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• There is no "right" age. My son is almost three. I still wash him but I know he'll be okay if I need to be in another room for a few minutes. And like someone else said, you dont just throw the reins in one day its a process. And its individual. Her son might be ready and your daughter isnt. But IMO by four or five they should definitly be bathing alone, not barring any medical or physical need to be present. Thats around the age kids start needing some privacy where their bodies are concerned. You know?
    Goldie_And_Luke

Answer by Goldie_And_Luke at 8:33 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

Goldie_And_Luke

Answer by Goldie_And_Luke at 8:37 AM on Aug. 10, 2009