could i get a false positive?

so my last period was june 28th i took a pregnancy test on july 25th and it came back negative. i took another test aug 8 and it came back positive but the test i took was one of those chepo test could i get a false positive or am i pregnant?

jewels246

Asked by jewels246 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• It is possible to get false test results, but those are usually false neg, not false pos. (the false neg can be because there isn't enough of the hormone that the test is looking for built up in your urine yet, which could explain your first neg result.) Even "cheapo" tests tend to be pretty accurate, too. But, combined with having symptoms of pg, I would say yes, you're pg. But, if you have a doubt, you could try taking another test now. Or, when you go to the Dr, you could ask if he/she could do a blood test.

Congrats on the new baby, btw :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• NOPE!!!! honey your PREGO!!! hope it's what you wanted!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• O & congrats!!! i must say im jealous!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• well i have a doctors appt tomorrow to confirm and also i forgot to add that i have been symptoms of morning sickness worse case ever so i will update once i get back from my appt
    jewels246

Answer by jewels246 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• To inform every one it is possible to get a false positive. If you get a defective test, or the test has expired, most stores don't check the dates on the tests. All though getting a false pos is rare it does happen
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 5:38 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• the cheap tests are usually just as accurate! sounds to me like you are prego. false positives after a month are pretty much unheard of! I'd assume you are pregnant, til you can have it confirmed by a doc
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:50 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• So it was confirmed today I'm prego!! Thank you all for your answers.
    jewels246

Answer by jewels246 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009