When do they face the front

I have never gotten the same answer... I have no idea when to change to a bigger car seat. The weigh limits are a guide... but she is so long... for her carseat I mean... so when do I get a bigger one and when does she sit facing the front???

KayKayaputie

Asked by KayKayaputie at 11:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At MINIMUM, one year old AND 20 pounds. BOTH conditions must be met. Height matters not.

Look at it this way....rear facing, generally the worst that could happen in a crash is a pair of broken legs. Fixable.

Front-facing...you could be looking at a broken neck. Paralysis at best with that, death at worst, and neither is fixable.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• its really up to you. the guide and the academy of pediatrics suggest 1 year AND 20 lbs.
    http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm
    but its up to you to decide when you think it's best beyond that. and there are seats that are rear and forward facing so if you're little one is too big for her current rear facing, you can buy one that you just turn around when its time for that. but studies do show that they are safer being rear facing for as long as possible.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• At the bare minimum, 1 year AND 20 pounds. However, studies have shown that it tends to be safer for the child to face rear-wards for as long as the car seat restrictions will allow. We kept DD rear-facing until she was 2-1/2 and only switched her because she was nearing the weight restriction of facing rear-wards.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:04 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• When can you turn her front facing? Well, my son will be turned front facing when there is no longer a seat on the market that will rear face. Right now, that is 40lbs. He is only 11mths and 20lbs, so hopefully they will have seats with higher rear facing limits by the time he hits 40lbs. I would like him to rear face to age 3/4 and around 45lbs-55lbs. I might even import a seat from another country, not exactly legal... but when it comes to my childs safety, well I dont care about the law. Not that any police officer could detect an imported seat seeing as how most of them know very little about carseats and safety.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:10 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Like the ladies have said, 1 year AND 20 pounds. Don't worry about your daughters legs. There are no documented cases of broken legs in rear end car crashes while a child is RF. You'll know when your daughter is too big for her seat when there is only 1 inch of shell above her head.

Join the Car Seat Safety group if you'd like to learn about keeping your baby rear facing even past the minimum. It's proven to keep babies 5 times safer in the event of a car accident. The ladies there are very helpful, and nice.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:44 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My kids are tall and skinny and were rear facing for as long as their car seats would allow for their HEIGHT so height does matter for some if you are going to do extended rear facing. The car seat should have a MAXIMUM height and weight on it for rear facing and forward facing (convertible seat) and you will need to turn them when they hit ONE of those. My kids are tall and skinny and hit the height first. Generally the height says something like the top of their heads 2 inches below the top plastic of the car seat. For both my kids that was just before 2 years old and I wish I could have kept them rear facing longer. I have yet to find a car seat on the market that goes higher height wise then the one we have. There are many that go up to 40 lbs rear facing for those with heavier children.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2009