how can i get my 18 month old from a bottle to a sippy cup? help

GutierrezMommy

Asked by GutierrezMommy at 11:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take the bottle away from them and only give them a sippy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I would just make it available but don't do it cold turkey. I am sure s/he will not want a bottle forever. My 2 year old refuses the cup at home but when we go out he will drink from one in a restaurant with a straw. I would ease it away slowly and make the nighttime bottle the last to go.

Here is a link that may help. And I am going to try it too. Good luck to you.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/32395/how_to_easily_transition_your_baby.html?cat=25
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i gave my son a "nuk transition cup" at about 8 months and at about 9 i started all sorts of sippy cups so he wouldnt attach to any in particular and thats all it took,heres some good ones.
    Gerber Nuk Transition Cup
    Gerber NUK Learner Cup
    Playtex First Sipster
    playtex with valves
    Nuby sippy cups
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 11:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Does your 18 mo. old drink water/juice from a sippy? If he/she is drinking a couple of ounces at a time, then he/she is ready to transition. I did it cold turkey. My daughter gave me grief for a few days...so I upped her intake of yogurt and cheese to compensate but eventually, she gave in (you HAVE to be consistent though) and she's been fine ever since. I made sure to do everything else the same....we always cuddled on the couch with a blanket while I gave her her bottle....so we just cuddle on the couch with a blanket and a sippy cup now. I was fortunate though...I stopped giving her bottles right before bed and naptime at about 7 mo. or so....so she wasn't used to having a bottle right before bed. The fact that it didn't interfere with naptimes and bedtimes was really helpful in staying consistent. Another suggestion is to not take the bottle away....just only give water in the bottle and milk only in a sippy.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:36 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• cont'd...most babies will eventually take the sippy of milk over the bottle of water. Good Luck
    ANGIE409

• I had my son on sippy about 10 months just with water or juice. Then on a road trip he became thirsty and his only option was a sippy cup. After that he was just down to bottles at night. Then I offered him a cup at bedtime and by 12 months he is completely off it. Just try it. If they're thirsty enough they'll drink from anything. Good luck!
    armywife1229

Answer by armywife1229 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I started with a sippy with a silicone top (nuby) it is pressure activated as well as suction activated and that was at 6 mos and by 12 mos we were on a cup with a straw. I just did what I thought was best for her. I saw the attachment issue we had with a paci and I wanted to get rid of the bottles before she became attached and we had another huge issue on our hands.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:04 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Take away the bottle. If he knows how to use a cup than there is no reason for it. My children were off the bottle by nine months. Bottles and even sippy cups can harm there teeth. Some people I know have only put water in the bottle and all other fluids in a sippy cup, that way your child will not want to use a bottle at all if they know there is only water in it.
    Jortess

Answer by Jortess at 11:47 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I just took the bottles away and only offered sippy cups. I didn't have problems with either of my girls, I think the sooner you do it the easier it is. It is when they are older and really know the difference that makes it tough.
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 11:56 AM on Aug. 10, 2009