When did you take away the bottle?

Cheyenne is 11 months and a half months old. She is my 4th baby.. so you would think i would have thought about this sooner... however .. i did NOT.

My other 3.. by the time they were 10 months old.. they were drinking from sippy cups.. and only had bottles for naps and bedtime and at 12 months.. the bottle was gone.
Cheyenne HATES the sippy cups.. i've tried several different ones.. She doesn't mind drinking from an open cup.. but will refuse the sippy all together. So .. i haven't pushed.. i just let her have a bottle . but now i'm concerened that she has became a bit overattached to it.
Any suggestions.. does anyone else have a little one that refuses all sippy cups.. and what did you do??

4xmommy2008

Asked by 4xmommy2008 at 11:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/15/4/2-a
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:30 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• try the soft spout nuby brand transition sippy cup! it worked great for my dd
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My son just turned 1 and he still takes a bottle but really only at naps and bedtime. It took him a while to take to the sippy cups and I never pushed it on him and I won't until he's at least two. I'm hoping he'll wean himself. Nuby makes suppy cups that come with a rubber bottle-like nipple, a rubber sippy cup nipple, and a rubber straw top that you can change to help transition your baby. My son did well with it, maybe your daughter will. Wal Mart sells them for like $5.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my baby got them all the way up to 20 mos.. she would not take a sippy untill now ans she is 21 mos now. She let me know when she was ready. I dont care to hear any rude comments either .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i have more than a cabinet FULL of sippy cups of every shape and size.. Nubby, Parents Choice, Hard spouts.. soft spouts.. rubber spouts.. . doesn't matter.. she don't like them.

But I was more concerened with .. .. WIC pushes.. no bottles after 1, the doc pushes.. the family pushes.. blah blah blah.. you all know the routine..
    I just wanted to know when other parents got their kid/babies.. off the bottle.. when the sippy cup.. was not being taken. It's just too hot to let her go with out a drink... and I would rather she had the bottle than nothing. I don't know.. just wanted to know that i wasn't the only mommy letting her baby have a bottle after the magic birthday.. that all the baby stuff is "suppose" to go away.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• honestly if it were me I would just put all the bottles away after baby is one. Sort of one of those things if she gets thirsty enough she will drink from the cup. You may have to bring out some tough love.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 1:00 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I slowly weaned the bottle from 12 months to 18 months, but then also before that I was breast feeding and bottle only for water. I went from 100% bottle, which was only given at the table or I kept a hold of it when out and about. Then slowly added in the sipy cups until zero bottle at around 18 months. Now my daugher is loving the straw. I just buy the cheap straws from walmart, the bendy ones. You could try that. Give her, her own special cup and a package of straws as a fun gift. Try making a big deal out of it. "Oh looky at this special cup just for you". I guess it is worth a shot since you have went through all the sipy cup trials. Good luck and remember Dr.'s, your family and friends don't have to live with your children you do. You know what is best, when what is best is based on love and common sense and you are trying to do your best. If all else fails, then maybe try the tough love aproach. Good Luck!!
    Noble_One

Answer by Noble_One at 2:17 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I quit giving my son a bottle when he turned one. He was down to one bottle in the evening before bed and he wasn't very interested in it anymore. I think it's kind of normal for them not to take to the sippy cup right away. My son wouldn't drink out of one either until I took the bottle away. He would get thirsty enough and that was the only way he would learn. I babysit a few kids who are around my son's age. One of them will be two next month and his mom brings him here with a bottle. IMO he is way to old for that. I babysit other kids way younger than him that are no longer on the bottle. It's your child and you can do what you want, it's just that to me, a two year old is way to old for a bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Aug. 10, 2009