Are there any nurses here?

Can I have some info on nursing school
More info the better
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2009 in

• Yes what would u like to know?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• What do I need to do to get in 

How long does it take to become an RN

Where can I look for grants that kind of thing

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You need general ed to get into an aa or bsn. It depends on the school what u will need.
    You can take ur aa in 2 years and bsn will take 3-4 years depending on the requirments.
    Apply for fafsa, I got a fee waiver and I make over 80,000 a year married with a child. Almost anybody can qualify. www.fafsa.gov
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Everyone seems to go straight for the RN degree and those requirements are based upon what nursing school you want to go to. Truthfully, as a nurse, I would recommend going through a LPN program first and many VO Tech schools offer an LPN program. It takes about a year to get your LPN and you have many job opportunities and you can add to your degree to get your RN later. The reasons I say do LPN first are many, but you cannot replace the experience you get as an LPN. Nothing against RNs at all, they are one of the KEY components in health care, but so many RNs are book smart and not so great on the personal care. ( I did NOT say that to make ANY RNs mad, please dont take offense, but it is true) Personal care is very important, and bedside manner is lacking alot in nursing lately. It takes about 3 yrs or so to get your RN, depending on how fast you can get your classes in. (pre recs too) Go to FASFA for grants(fed.$)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:12 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yes, reconsider. Nursing is very hard if you do it "right", which is to start in MedSurg, at a hospital (YES that is the best path) and then...branch out. But that hospital work is HELL; there is NEVER enough staff, they will ALWAYS have excuses as to why, you WILL routinely have 12 pts when they "Say" you will have "only 8 (or 6), etc. Oh and you get little autonomy despite being an R.N., and the people you have to deal with are OFTENtimes difficult. Yes I am talking about doctors, but also support staff such as clerks, lab people, Social workers (they're the worst ), maintenance and other staff, oh and yes patients and families of patients. NOT ALL ARE BAD BUT MANY ARE. I am just speaking from MY experience of my Hospital job. A shift supposedly ending at 11:30P, will not end at 11:30, hardly EVER. Many times I would walk out of there (pregnant, no less), at like 1:30 A.M. Into the dark parking lot..(etc)outofro
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• im sorry it is
    fasfa.gov
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• you'll need all of your highschool or previous college transcripts.
    you will need a current physical with proof of immunity
    you will need some kind of financial assistance or the money to pay for school books and tuition
    also you will need money for supplies, clothing and gas for your car
    you may want to go ahead and get your cpr card now and keep it current maybe even a first responders class
    ask your college counselor or nursing program advisor early and often with questions regarding exactly what you have to have and in what order and on what time schedule. and always be early with submitting paperwork to get into the classes and programs you need and want.
    you will also need family support, if you have kids and no home support it will seem harder than it is.
    time is up to you, 2yrs or more depending on credit hours and degree
    buddies, you need to make friends in the programs early!!!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:49 AM on Aug. 10, 2009