Green goop inside belly button after umbilical cord falls off?

Is this normal?? Everything looks perfectly fine, no redness around the belly button at all. But inside there is still some goopy stuff. Her cord just fell off 2 nights ago. She is just 8 days old.

Also, can I give her a regular bath now? Or should I still just do a sponge bath?

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 12:27 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• dang... my son is 18 days old and his still hasnt fallen off... my dr said that you should still clean it with alcohol after it falls out for a couple days maybe that would help clear it up
    ALLIE637

Answer by ALLIE637 at 12:29 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Still do the sponge bath and still use alcohol wipes on it, if it does not go away in a day or so then I would say it is an infection and take him to see the doc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• When DD's umbilical cord fell out the only thing that I noticed was some bleeding and redness. I don't think I noticed any green stuff.
    Doctor's said that once the umbilical cord fell off she could get a regular bath, but since your DD has some green stuff, I'd call the doctor and ask about it.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:29 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• usually if it's yellowish or greenish it indicates an infection. I'd clean it with alchol for a day or two and if it doesn't subside I'd call the doc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It's not poop. Unless it smells bad it's not an infection. My DS's fell off at 1 week too. Just swab it with alcoho; during the diaper changes. No bath for a few days yet to make sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• infections do not always have a prominent smell at first, so it could be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my DD's bb fell at 1 week and yeah she had that green stuff in there i told her pediatrician and she said just to put alcohol every day on it, and it also smelled really bad, thats the only thing i was told
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 3:37 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my babies ame off the 3 day and the hers hw thatt green thing but hers also smell whan i took hert thedoctr h put something blackinside o hr belly button so it will help heel and he just told me to clean it as long as i need til the green was gone and yes you stil have to bath her with spong aslong agree suff comes outhewhen ou notie that it dsnt com ut anymore you ca bath her
    Yesika951

Answer by Yesika951 at 5:15 AM on Aug. 10, 2009