Is public school, like, totally not an option for you? And why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• We still have a few years til Sophie goes to school but it looks like we're stuck in Hawaii for the next 5 years... And if my daughter has to go to school here in Hawaii she will definetly go to a private school! The school system here is just bad...
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 12:45 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I will be homeschooling my son unless we are able to move to different town. The schools here score in the 20th percentile nationwide and about 70% of the students are in ESL homes. If I move to my parents' house, the school is 97% English-speaking households and it scores in the 90th percentile in all areas in the nationwide testing. I guess that's one of the reasons a three-bedroom house in my parents' town is $850,000 and where I live, just 30 miles away, the same house can be purchased for $150,000 :(

shrugging

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Where the heck do you live??? Wow!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Nope, it's not something we'd ever consider. My daughter is starting a charter homeschool program this week, she's in 1st grade.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 1:19 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I hate public schools.
    They are dirty, inappropriate, and do not properly educate anyone.
    Trust me I am in high school right now and hate every second of the public school I attend I much prefer private schools.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:23 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I'm like, totally, for sure going to like, homeschool my kids. Because like, I went to public school and this is, like, how I talk.

HS is not the only option for us, but it will depend on where we live at the time and what the school system is like in that area. Although depending on the curriculum, I don't care if the school has the highest marks in the country, if they teach something we don't agree with and they give no alternatives then we won't send our kids to those schools. Parents should have the final say in their kids education, not the school.

mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:31 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Someone is on a Homeschooling bash roll tonight..
    DD is almost 3 & right now we are undecided....
    I think its better for parents to open their mind & see whats really best! Public Schools are not the only choice! Just because something is the NORM does not make it the best ... or the right choice..

... A few examples: pregnant woman use to get XRAYS to see if their hips were big enough to deliver baby! Woman use to use LYSOL as a douch! ..... Smoking a Camel aided digestion! Diffrent drugs giving during birth- even knocked out! Women even took diet pills while pregnant! ... Our lovely Drs. told us to do these things.. It became the norm & popular for a set of time.. didnt make it any more right..

A sheep says.....
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:34 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• "I'm like, totally, for sure going to like, homeschool my kids. Because like, I went to public school and this is, like, how I talk."

Like LMFAO!!! Like yeah... me, too! Totally!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:20 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It depends on what the school system is like where we're living when she starts school and what kind of financial situation I am in.

I would prefer that my daughter go to a public school in a great district. A majority of private schools have religious affiliations, and homeschooling would just not suit our family.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 2:39 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• im like totally thinking that like you are like for sure like the kind of girl that like i would beat up in when i was like in like school still...

not all public schools turn out stupid kids...but obviously yours did
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Aug. 10, 2009