Do you have any suggestions for first day of preschool and beyond?

My DD is gearin' up for school! It will be from 8:30 - 11 am, Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Is there anything you wish you had been told? Just asking for the wisdom of the experienced crowd of mothers out there!

Pristine_Dream

Asked by Pristine_Dream at 12:45 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• if they cry - walk away! if you hang around you interrupt the class and make it worse when you do manage to leave. besides...most kids will cry for a few minutes and then move on

don't be a helicopter mom

don't expect too much from your child - its preschool they're supposed to be learning yes but also having fun and getting used to the schedules and routines of their educations down the line.

SMILE! if they see you being positive and happy about them going to school then they won't hesitate (for the most part) to go on in and be independant. if you cry they may get scared and really resist.

my youngest is going into preschool this year I am SO EXCITED!! lol
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i wish someone told me to feel bad if rosie cries cuz by the end of the day she will luv it and hav mad new friends so just breath and tell her to not be afriad cuz its an adventure lik life
    momnamedeva

Answer by momnamedeva at 1:07 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• When my oldest started school, I was the one who had a hard time letting go. I was trusting my "baby" to a group of strangers. Wow, did that make me feel conflicted!!!! The teacher actually took me into the little girl's room and comforted me while handing me a tissue. lol. The best part of that day was my daughter running out of school to meet me and showing me what she did. She was so proud. I think I was just as proud or maybe even a little more. Starting school is a big milestone for entering a life of independence and socialization among peers. Just remember, that first day you send your little one to school, it's ok to shed some tears.
    experiencedmoma

Answer by experiencedmoma at 5:04 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• As a mom who has put two through pre k , this is what I think might be helpful.

If she has trouble with you leaving her, you might want to read the story,"The Kissing Hand" before the first day of school. Then if she still gets upset, the best thing to do is to give her a kiss and hug at the door and do not go into the room( it is harder to get out), then just leave promptly! The longer you linger the harder it is on both of you. When you pick her up after school, don't just ask "What did you do today?" the response you get will probably be,"I played." Ask specific questions like, What job did you have today, line leader, flag holder, etc.( whatever jobs they do at her school) Ask what songs did you sing, what areas did you play in, house, blocks, art? Who played with you ? etc.
    This is a time to prepare for Kindergarten. Encourage independence with self-care tasks. Hanging up own coat and bookbag, toileting

LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:00 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• cont.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions of the teacher. Working as a team helps make your daughters experience the best it can be.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:07 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Get involved in any organization that helps run the school, volunteer to help out either on the bus or in the classroom. You can do things at home to help the teachers out preparing for lessons too.

It really can be a lot harder on you than on your child. But stick to your guns and send them and eventually you will both feel better.

You might cry the entire first day your child is in school. I did with both of mine and I rarely ever cry. They did fine however LOL. Granted... I was pregnant both times I think that had a lot to do with it.

Don't expect great answers from your child on what they did. My 5 year old is only just now starting to be able to tell me some of what she does in classes or at church. When she was in Head Start at 3, she could never tell me anything.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 12:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Wish I could offer some advice but I can't!! My son starts school September 2nd and i'm a nervous wreck! Good thing is he will have his best friend with him in the class though so it'll make it a bit easier and my SIL is a teacher at the same place so once she goes back to work from maternity leave I know I will be fine.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• All I know is I prep mine a couple days in advance letting her know it's not a bad ordeal and that it would be fun, I told her it's perfectly ok to feel scared or nervous and that she wouldn't be the only one feeling that way everyone will be new and some will feel more afraid than others and thats ok,
    I pumped her up for new friends and experiences that she may have there, and told her if she needed to talk about any feelings she had about this I'm always available to help,
    she asking questions and told mer her feelings up until the day.
    By school time she was ready to run off and enjoy her day, I got to helped her hang up her bag, I chatted with the teach, got a hug and kiss from my sweetie and was off with a happy "see you later mommy" and I left satisfied.
    Afterwards I found she did great, and she even helped some kids relax and enjoy themselves too.
    It was a proud day.
    MintyMew

Answer by MintyMew at 4:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2009