Do you believe that a child should have and use an imagination?

I do. It allows for an escape. Not all kids live in the greatest of homes. Some are abused and neglected so badly that the only way they survive (other then being removed) is by creating another "place" to escape to. I don't see the problem with imagination. Do you?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 1:02 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Uh. No. Why would using your imagination be a bad thing?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I think an imagination is a very important thing in childhood.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 1:07 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I do not fidn that imagination is ab ad thing as long as it's not being used for bad things. Like to scare other's or think of ways to be mean or think in yourm ind that you've hurt/killed someone. But as an escape, or just a nice thought it's GREAT!
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 1:10 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I want my son to have an imagination. sometimes it's the best thing for a kid. like looking at a box but sees a space shuttle lol
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 1:32 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Absolutely!

Believe it or not, there are plenty of people out there who to try with all their migh to stump a child's creative mind. It's so sad.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 2:36 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I am a firm believer in a childs imagination. Sadly, those days are not what they used to be with technology. Back when I was a kid there was no WII's, X-Box, or I-Pods. We played hide and go seek for hours, catched lightening bugs, and stayed out till our parents told us to come in the house. Now kids are glued to the Tv or playing video games.
    A child using their imagination is important, my mother taught pre school for 12 years and I know how important it is to encourage children to play and let their minds go wild. It is healthy for them.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:19 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i was one of those kids who's active imagination and imaginary friends helped me cope and stay sane through physical and sexual abuse...i think that an imagination is the best thing a kid can have
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yes every child needs their own space even if it is between their ears.
    Our kids were 13 years apart and I was happy that my son had an imagination.
    He could entertain himself and many people made remarks about how good it was to see a child with their own mind and thoughts on things when there were no other children around.
    I don't believe that they should have little imaginary friends; but yes to a healthy imagination.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 4:35 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• absolutely. How else would we have writers, scrren writers, and a whole slew of other fun things if someone didnt use their imaginations.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:10 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Well, everyone has an imagination and childrens imaginations are a part of their sweet nature. I dont believe our imagination should be used to escape though. The type of escape from reality that you are speaking of can be an issue later on in life. Once you get into the habit of escaping reality in your own mind, its hard to break. Usually those adults that escape reality are those who stay in denial all the time and have coping mechanisms that can turn very bad. But just the normal everyday child imaginations are fun and healthy.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:13 AM on Aug. 10, 2009