i think my newborn sleeps to much

my son is 4 days old and he sleeps all of the time. i know newborns sleep a lot but even when i feed him i can't wake him up. i tickle him and undress him play with his feet change diaper everything and he'll open his eyes and fall back asleep. he wakes up maybe two times or three times a day for about an hour or so. is this normal? my husband says it is but i just want other moms opinions.

cleo2582

Asked by cleo2582 at 2:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think so. My daughter didn't sleep much, but that was my fault, I just didn't know what to do, or why she was so fussy. Looking back, she was trying to go or stay asleep, but I just didn't know.
    nico409ant

Answer by nico409ant at 2:16 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My 8 month old slept all the time, enjoy it while it lasts cuz when they start teething all that sleeping goes oway, Good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:18 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• How often is he eating, and for how long? That would be my biggest concern. My daughter was like this, and I took her to the ped who told me how lucky I was, that was until she started losing weight. They kept saying it was nothing until she fell off the charts. Turns out, she got an infection during birth and was too weak to eat or wake for feedings. So, normally, I say let sleeping babies lie, but that only goes if they are eating every 2 hours for bf or every 4 for ff. If not, then I'd start to worry.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:20 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My son also slept a lot. Pretty much like that at that age. Some kids do and some don't. My Daugher did not. I have also read that some times babies can be more sleepy if you had an epi during labor. I did all natural and my son was still a sleeper and still sleeps a lot. Although my husband was also like that as a baby and my daugher is just like me not much of a napper during the day, but needs lots of sleep at night. Sometime things like that can be in the genes. Best of Luck!!
    Noble_One

Answer by Noble_One at 2:21 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I with Petie, as long as he is getting plenty to eat then bask in the amazingness of a newborn sleeping. lol

I would keep him on a schedule though, so wake him up whenever you are supposed for feedings but then let him go right back to sleep.
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 2:30 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• For the first week, by son slept all day long. Would slightly wake up to tell you he was hungry but while he was eating, he was practically sleeping again! Don't worry, it will all change! My husband and I were both off work together for the first week and he slept like an anger the entire time. The day my husband went back to work, my son changed his schedule and had more awake time. The best thing you can do is get used to his schedule if you want it to change. Every time you get used to it or you think you have them figured out they change on you. It's like an alarm goes off in their head that says hey, mom's catching on, let's throw a curve ball at her! :)
    JoeyJrsMomma

Answer by JoeyJrsMomma at 2:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2009