36 week appointment question??

im going to my 36 wk appt tomorrow and was wondering if i will be checked to see if im dialated? this is my second pregnancy and i have kaiser if that makes any difference? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• anyone know what??
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:17 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It is up to you. If it is offered, you can decline. Usually it is up to the doctor what they do. Personally, I don't see the point... either way the baby will come! :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i am having mine tuesday, i think every doc is different, Mine has been checking me every appt. since about 30 weeks.
    landrysmommy

Answer by landrysmommy at 2:54 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• There is no reason to check really, even IN labor. What difference does it make?
    The only thing it does is put you/the doctor on a 'clock' and create (unnecessary/unreasonable) expectations.
    I never had any vaginal exams with my pregnancies, even though they went past my due date. There is not any real legitimate reason...

IF you get checked what will you do with the information? You might progress, you might not... either way, baby WILL come when baby is ready. BUT now you have this number in your head and it can infiltrate your confidence, unnecessarily. Seems like a lose-lose to me.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:00 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I'm 34 weeks and I don't do vaginal exams. No ones fingers belong up there for no reason. There is nothing they can learn or use from that information. It just puts numbers in your chart. There is also a chance of introducing infection.

And those gloves they put on ARE NOT STERILE unless they came in a SINGLE STERILE package, opened at the last possible moment, and the person perfoming the exam has thoroughly scrubbed their hands to the elbow before putting them on.

Open boxes of gloves sticking out and hanging around in an office where people come and go are in no way shape or form germ free.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:24 AM on Aug. 10, 2009