he wants to sign over his rights,can i still receive child support?

the father of my child lives in texas.i live in california.he wants to sign over his rights b/c he just had another child and thinks he can get rid of my son.im on cash assistance,does that play a role?

josiecv

Asked by josiecv at 2:44 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• You need to ask an attorney. Laws could vary by state on stuff like this. Every case I've ever known of where someone signs away their rights, though, has been situations where whoever the parent was signing the rights over TO wanted it that way & wanted said parent out of the picture all together ---- meaning no child support.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I don't think he can just sign away his rights unless you agree. But, no, if he signs over his rights, he is giving up any obligation or authority for the child. Talk to a lawyer though, cause some places have weird laws, and I don't think anyone could know all of them.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 4:09 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You can go to court for child support but when he signs over his rights thats gone too.

Just think of signing over rights as saying that legally I acknowledge these arent my children. well if the arent his he doesnt pay
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:22 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• In NY he can give up his rights and still be made to pay child support unless someone else adopts your child. I would contact social services they can help you get child support, however it is not as easy as it used to be to give up rights to a child because the courts beleve that not only does the father have rights to his child but the child has a rights to the parent
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 7:56 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Definitely get legal advice for your specific area. Most parents (male or female) who sign off rights do so to get out of financial obligation for the future.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I don't know the answer to your question, but what an ass! I hope he has to pay, and if you can think of something to sue him for...do that too! I can't stand dead beat parents.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• He can sign over his rights but in some cases he might still have to pay child support. Talk to a pro bono attorney They have them in every state free attorneys Good luck!!

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2009