How do you know your child is ready for potty training?

christina726

Asked by christina726 at 2:49 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son developed a problem with his diapers. As soon as it was wet he took it off, heaven forbid poop got in it. Even though he was 17 mths. when this began his doctor said some kids develop differently. If they tug at their diapers when they're wet or takes interest in watching his or her parents potty, things like that. It's what his doc said.
    LynnLesher

Answer by LynnLesher at 3:54 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• A few things. Ability to walk to the potty. Ability to pull down and pull up pants. Ability to vocalize the need. Waking dry and clean. Showing interest in the potty or frustration with diapers (I've had a couple of each so both seem to work). Of course if only one of these is missing you can find ways around them, but for the most part, these are the things you want to see. My last child (thank goodness!! ) decided one day he was sick of diapers, and viola, we had about 3 accidents and since then, none. The other three were more challenging. But I found that if I started too early (which I did with 2 of them) that they took longer and it was more frustrating for everyone involved.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 4:16 AM on Aug. 10, 2009