Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worried about 2nd csection and spinal block

ok the first time, they were not able to get the spinal in the right spot for the first 7 times. it hurt sooo bad. So this time I am worried the same will happen. I am not worried about anything else except for the iv, they always have a hard time getting them started. Anyone have any advice? Scheduled section is August 26th. But that being said, we think our last menstrual period is Dec 19th , which gave us a due date of Sept 25th, 2009. Well our last sonogram put us at Sept 12th and then we had one last week that put us at Sept 1st. My doctor is going on a cruise on August 30th and wont be back til Sept 8th. So she wants to deliver before then. Which going by my guess lmp would be 36 weeks, but by the new sonogram 38 weeks. but if we wait til she gets back it will be 41 weeks by my last sono. The baby is weighing 6lbs 5oz last sono. And its a boy. Im worried bout his lungs being ready.

Answer Question
 
landrysmommy

Asked by landrysmommy at 2:59 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • There are tests they can do to check the readiness of his lungs. You can also ask if they can give you can't think of the name, but i see it done alot on the discory health channel, babie stories and prengnacy shows, to help mature the lungs. My son was born emergancy c-section sept 1st orignally due sept 22, and his lungs were fine, he was barely at the 37 wks mark, but most dr as long as your past 36 wks if you were to go into labor naturally wouldn't stop it. Your baby my require some oxygen, but he shouldn't require alot of time. It all depends on how well he is breathing when they take him out.
    vgiron

    Answer by vgiron at 6:35 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • boy, you are going through alot of crap! any reason you can't do a VBAC! With that due date all over the place I think I would 1) get to know your doctor's back up 2) wait until I went into labor rather than scheduling the c-section; ya know let baby pick his birthday and 3) seriously consider trying to deliver vaginally if everything looks good. good luck mama, sounds like you have surrounded yourself with people who are more worried about their schedules than your baby's health.

    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:45 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • i agree w/ anon.
    just bc you had a c/s the first time doesn't mean you have to have c/s from here on out. talk to your dr about it AFTER you do your own research. most dr's will use the scare tactic to steer you away from it.
    if you still decide to go w/ a c/s, i would pick a later date. due dates are just estimates, and you should only go by an early u/s (before 12weeks) for a little more accurate date. u/s beyond 12 weeks aren't accurate.
    mommytobobby

    Answer by mommytobobby at 8:48 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • There is NO WAY I would risk a premature baby for my doctor's convenience and I'd question the integrity of ANY doctor who suggested any such thing. And sonograms are Notoriously WRONG especially the later they are done in the pregnancy. They are NOT good indicators of weight either, your baby could be much smaller, much less developed, and you'll spend your first days of motherhood in the NICU.

    If you are going to schedule a c-section do it much later. However, I think you should look into a VBAC. Visit the website. www.ican-online.org A vbac is safer and the studies prove it. Don't let them bully you into doing something that you know isn't right. And don't let them try to tell you that starting labor means you can't have a c-section if in the RARE instance something goes amiss. They should treat you like a first time mother when it comes to laboring and NOT induce you.
    amileegirl

    Answer by amileegirl at 9:20 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • I say that unless there is something stopping your from having a vaginal birth (a big baby does not mean you can't btw), then you should go for a VBAC. That is THE safest route to take if there are no medical issues such as pre-e, placenta previa, unmanageable blood pressure issues, or something similar. I had a VBAC last October and it was the best thing I could have done.

    Think, really THINK, about the consequences and decide if you want to gamble with your child's health by going along with that idiot OB's choice. It's one of the worst options for EVERYONE involved except him. Is he going to pay the medical bills when your baby ends up in NICU because his lungs aren't developed? No he's not. You are. And you're also going to have to deal with the stress of wondering if your baby will be okay, if he will be affected long term, and you won't get to spent those 1st precious weeks with him like you should. So THINK.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

  • (I messed something up and retyped this part... This is the 1st part to the response above.)

    It is absolutely fucking RIDICULOUS that your doctor wants to schedule a c-section A MONTH EARLY because he's going on vacation! Why can't another OB perform a c-section if need be when he's on vacation? I'm sorry, but there is no way in HELL I would agree to taking my child out of me just so my doctor can go on vacation. My child's health is more important than that. There are sooo many risks of your baby having health problems!!!!!

    If you are going to schedule a c-section schedule it for your due date. OR (this is what I would do) schedule it for 42 weeks. Then if your go into labor before then, go to the hospital and they can still perform a c-section if that's what you want to do. That is the best way bc the baby is telling you that HE is ready.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Pregnancy
questiom

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN