Why do people feed their children food with no nutritional value?

I just can not get over what I see in people's trolleys.
No one can say they are unable to discern between 'good' food and 'bad' these days - there is to much media saturation and knowledge out there for the taking. Why is it people feed their children crap?

Waxing_Lyrical

Asked by Waxing_Lyrical at 4:57 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Health

• What difference does it make what others feed there kids, Its not like they are making your child eat what they are buying. Besides not everyone care how nutritional food is. Not everyone is a health nut, i know i'm not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I myself don't pay much attention to what the package says on it. My son usually eats what i eat, weathers its pork chops, hamburger, cereal or fast food.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 5:24 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I don't get it either. I am fully aware about the food that enters my dd's body. There are so many preservatives in foods that are very bad for you. Why WOULDN'T a parent be concerned with what their children are eating. It's our job to protect our children....I don't trust the FDA/Government to be so forthcoming with harmful ingredients.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Food is food, you can be the biggest health nut out there and you can be hit by a bus tomarrow and die so why hold out on a big juicy cheesburger today, and besides it's all about modiration, the point is we all have to die sometime
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 5:35 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I would rather be hit by a bus because of some crazy driver having a heart attack from too many years of eating cheeseburgers than me die of a heart attack from eating too many cheeseburgers. Every one is going to die, but I am not going to die from my own choices.

I personally don't care what other people feed their children. It is not my business, but when my son starts eating food other than milk I am going to make sure he is well taken care of and his health is priority. My husband all his life has eaten crap and is only 26 and suffering. I don't want my child to live like that so I will be sure to watch what goes into our trolley. Once a week we will have junk food night, as a special treat, but no more.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 7:00 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Shit! I'm lucky to get my DD to eat nothing but cookies...she's an extreme picky eater and I hate for her to be on "Pediasure" forever!  My DS will eat anything entered into his mouth.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I dont understand why some people are so damn observant of what others are doing. When I go to the grocery store or walmart, its RARE that I ever even notice what others are buying. I have my own life and my own time schedule and I simply do NOT have time to be judging whats in other peoples buggies. Does this mean that other people are in constant observation of whats in MY buggy? Okay, whatever. We eat in moderation. Lots of fruits and veggies, a little bit of start, a little bit of hot dogs, some cereal and only 1 sweet thing per week. I drink lots of coke though. Im an official coca cola addict. My kids are very healthy with very good immune systems. Thats all I am concerned about. How about all you nosey moms just lay off. Go worry about your own life, your own kids and spend a little less time analyzing everyone else!!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:52 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I wanted to respond and go into how pricey the fruits and veggies and natural stuff are here-but no one ever believes me, so I don't see the point. I love fruits and veggies and would love to buy them more often, but we would be broke. And before someone suggests a garden, I live in an apartment and have tried pots but have a brown thumb when it comes to potted plants. So go on and keep judging. I'm doing the best I can for my family right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Because it's THIER child, THIER "trolley" and none of your business would be my first answer. Many people practice moderation - meaning that they seek balance between a strictly healthy diet and the "fun foods" and hope that by teaching their children that self control and moderation they can avoid the day when the child feels the need to binge on cupcakes because they were never allowed to have one and how to distinguish between self discipline and obsessive behavior. Maybe? I don't really know why people feed their kids what they do, I'm too busy thinking about what to feed MY kids. WHY do people have so much time to ponder other peoples choices if they're busy with their own would be my question.
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 8:09 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Well for the most part I don't consciously pay attention to what's in other people's carts. But occasionally its just fun to have an unhealthy meal. CHilli cheese dogs, sloppy joes, oven pizza can always make for a fun night. Just like ANYTHING out there, you should always do the more fattening, or unhealthy foods in moderation.

Even fast food is ok, once in a while, IMO. Obviously it shouldn't be your main meal, of course. BUt make it a treat. A happy meal every 2 weeks can be a nice surprise for your kids. TO make it even better just randomly pop in to the mcdonalds, and don't tell your kids before hand. THe surprise of it can make it so much fun! Not to mention it has healthier options now.

But the most important thing here is...mind your own business OP.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:29 AM on Aug. 10, 2009