Should I give up the picture?

I am in possession of 2 very old pictures. The pictures are of of 2 sisters, I'll call them D and M. The sisters are not quite related to me - they are children from my great-grandfather's first marriage. My great grandmother was his second marriage. I love how old these are, with my great-grandfather's handwriting on the back.

Recently I found the son of one of the sisters (online, through ancestry.com). He hasn't ask for the photo, but I am considering giving it to him. D is his mother, who recently died.

What should I do? Surprise him by giving the photo of D? I am tempted to do this since I think he would treasure it, and then I would still have the image of M, with my great-grandfather's writing on it. Or should I keep them for myself since he never asked for them? My great-grandfather is his grandfather, so I wonder who has the rights to them? What would you do?

science_spot

Asked by science_spot at 6:44 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• Scan the old photo and keep the copy. Send him the original in a nice frame.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 3:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• If you want to retain a copy, you can take it to a photo shop and have a copy made from the original photo. Then you can give the original away and still have a copy to appreciate.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:50 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Send him a copy of both pictures.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:19 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I agree with the others.  Give him a copy and keep the original.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:35 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You don't even have to go to a photo shop. You can go to Walmart, or any where really, just as long as they develop photos, and there is usually a copier machine soley for pictures. I did this for my inlaws anniversary, I copied an old picture of them together when they were young and framed it in a lovely frame. They loved it! It was under 5 bucks I think!
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 7:54 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Scan and send it to him via email. I'm into genealogy and appreciate when others do that for me

Answer by admckenzie at 10:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Send him a copy of both pix or you keep the copies and give him the real pix...its the best to do it that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I agree give him a copy. is there a ritz camera near you?" a bit more, but they seem better with old photos
    snailteacher

Answer by snailteacher at 2:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I was about to type exaclty what motherofireland already has
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 4:54 AM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Thank you all! I really want to do what MotherofIreland said but for whatever reason have trouble letting go of that photo, even though the woman is not relatedtome. It's his mom. I think I needed someone to tell me it is ok to give it away.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 8:31 AM on Aug. 11, 2009