Do you hate the double standard??

Seriously, there is a HUGE double standard here. Men can go back to work after a baby is born and noone says anything, but a mother makes the same choice and "oooh you better rethink that". It really is starting to get to me when I see that. Why the double standard? Why can't dad stay home with the kids while mom works? Why can't a woman NOT feel guilty about providing for her family, as long as the kid is taken care of? I don't get it. What is with the double standard?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's traditional and people aren't used to things being done different. I think it's a closeminded opinion but I also think it's slowly changing. More and more women are going back to work and more and more dads are staying home. It's not an epidemic but it's increasing.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Well, I think there are many parents who have decided that dad will stay home and it works for them. I actually have a good friend that has 5 kids and she makes over 100k a year and he doesnt, so he stays home with the kids and she works. I think its cool. Generally, women were created to be the nurturing, loving type with the desire to nest and create a home. Thats why they desire to be with their children and care for their families more than men. Men were created and have an innate desire to provide for their families. So we automatically pursue those desires inside of us. I think children need at least ONE parent at home. If its not mom, then dad is the next best person. Societal double standards should never be a factor in our decision making process. We should always do whats best for our children and for our situation regardless of what others think. I want to be at home with my kids and caring for my home. Thats me.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:07 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Alot of people dont agree with the woman leaving her kids but I think the instance your thinking of is more about when moms return back to work really soon after a new baby is born. I think its mostly because studies show that infants nees the bonding time with mom.. I dunno. It is a double standard but I agree that women should spend as much time as possible with a newborn. And I think thats what most people have a problem with.
    Goldie_And_Luke

Answer by Goldie_And_Luke at 8:57 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I would rather work than be on the dole...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:45 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Might just be your friends or the office. Everyone I know expected me to go back to work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Aug. 10, 2009