Why are "first time" moms ignorant to these kind of things? (breastfeeding)

Many moms are complaining about the baby not being able to sleep through the night. I was wondering if they knew that breastfeeding milk contains (something) that makes the baby sleepy. I'm sorry but I can't believe that mothers would choose formula over breastfeeding.

IMPORTANT there are cases where mother can't breastfeed due to medical reasons but I bet these are just a low number of moms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wanted to breastfeed for a year. When my son was born, he nursed great in the hospital. Then after we got home, we had every problem in the book. We saw three different lactation consultants....and it was miserable. They couldn't help us, and we spent a lot of money on different kinds of pumps and gel pads, lanolin.....we were miserable. The nursing wasn't working and I was blaming myself....finally it was so awful I decided to switch to formula. I finally decided I wasn't going to beat myself up over it. It was more important to me that my son eat period than to try to get him to nurse over having a bottle of formula. But then I came around when I saw how well the formula worked for him. He is on a great formula.
    My point is, there are moms on here who prefer breastfeeding because of the nutritional benefits. But sometimes things just work out according to plan.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:35 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You know you child is your child and if a women has a child and choose to bottle feed then I don't think that has anything to do with you. Maybe you should just shut it before your ahead of yourself or maybe your just a TROLL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You know you child is your child and if a women has a child and choose to bottle feed then I don't think that has anything to do with you. Maybe you should just shut it before your ahead of yourself or maybe your just a TROLL

No I'm not a troll. I was one of the mothers who almost gave up because I was all alone in my house with my baby until I decided to call a nurse at the hospital where my son was born. I was thinking that breastfeeding came naturally but in my case I needed an extra help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• OP above
    Anonymous

• Sorry, but when my son was 1-2 months old, I wasn't going to starve him just because I wanted to breastfeed and I wasn't producing enough to keep him happy. He was much happier with formula and he also slept much better. Some people have good reasons for not breastfeeding. I felt so bad that I couldn't do that for my son. People like me shouldn't feel like a horrible mother just because people like you are so close minded and think everyone should be like them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Every single mother I have ever known who breastfed NEVER had a baby sleep through the night as a baby. NONE. Breastfeeding making a baby sleep longer is as much a myth as cereal in the bottle doing the same damn thing.

So you can't believe a woman would choose formula. Guess what. I'm not a first time mom and I *gasp* chose formula!! Guess why? Because in MY case it was better for the baby.

You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how misplaced your facts are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• "Your milk also contains hormones and proteins that help your baby sleep. At night he is easy to resettle, especially if he is sleeping with you or near you, and you respond to him before he becomes fully awake. Breastfeeding helps us to sleep as well. The same hormone that makes the milk flow also makes us feel relaxed and sleepy. So how is it that so many breastfeeding mothers are so tired?"

gynob.com

I copied this from this site. OP

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yeah....that site also claims breastfeeding is a form of birth control!!! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• # Formula costs the government (and taxpayers) millions of dollars
    The U.S. government spends more than $2,665,715 a year to provide formula for the children of non-breastfeeding mothers participating in the WIC supplemental food program. Of course, this doesn't take into consideration the additional costs of caring for those infants who are statistically much more likely to get sick. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, higher breastfeeding rates could reduce US health care costs by $3.6 billion per year.

Riordan, J "The cost of not breastfeeding: a commentary" J Hum Lact 1997; 13(2) 93-97

A.A.P. Breastfeeding Policy Statement: Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk Pediatrics Vol. 115 No. 2 February 2005

(http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;115/2/496)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Breast milk acts like a natural tranquilizer for baby
    Mother's milk contains chemicals that seem to work like "knock-out drops" for tired babies. Even if baby doesn't fall asleep, he/she will certainly calm down and become more agreeable. If you choose to breastfeed into toddlerhood, you may find that the "terrible twos" never materialize.
    http://www.promom.org/101/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Aug. 10, 2009