vision exam

Anyone know how much a normal vision exam is for a 6 year old? The office isnt opened yet so the next best thing is cafe mom.I dont think we have vision insurance.

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 8:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Health

• It really varies according to the area, and the doctor, and their policies. I'd toss out $100 to $150, but it could well be more, or less. Our insurance covers if there is an eye disorder such as cataract or so forth. If they cost they quote you is too high for you, then ask them if there is a less expensive place you could go.

Answer by Bmat at 8:22 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• The price I suggested is for an initial exam, which would include testing for eye disease and not just vision. I'm not sure the office would just test for vision. It is likely that they have a policy of the first visit being a thorough check of the health of the eyes.

Both of our sons ended up in glasses, the younger at 6 and the older at about 4. We knew they needed them because they had to get close to the TV, couldn't see distance. If you do end up with glasses for your son, I'd recommend whatever replacement policy they have, too. We went through a number of pairs of glasses when the children were younger.

Answer by Bmat at 8:26 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My son has been complaining that his eyes hurt and sometimes he would blink really fast a few times,I thought it was allergies at first and than when he was reading to me he said the letters are kind of small I have had glasses since second grade so thats why i think he may need them.
    proudmom34

Answer by proudmom34 at 8:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• * nodding * It sounds like it to me, too. My husband and I both need glasses, so it didn't come as a shock that the children did, too. Especially if his eyes hurt, which I am thinking may mean that he is straining to see, get him checked. Good luck! I wonder if you'd either post an update or send me a message to let me know what you find out? Just curious.

Answer by Bmat at 9:10 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Start with your pediatrician, see what they say about the problems your son is having.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 1:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Even if you don't have Vision insurance, many of the bigger named insurance companies do cover some portion of the eye exam. A basic eye exam for someone that young shouldn't cost you much more than 80-90 dollars but more than likely much less b/c they wont have to do as many tests as they would on an adult. If you have serious eye problems that run in your family (macular degeneration, or glaucoma) I would recommend taking your child to somewhere other than a Wal-Mart vision center. Although they are liscensed eye specialists, they are not necessarily trained in any special eye diseases like those i listed above. If you just have near sightedness or far sightedness as a commonality in your family somewhere like Wal-Mart should be fine
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2009