Doc sends you home when your 4CM?/

I go to the hospital with HORRIBLE back pain- I progress from 3-4 just walking for an hour, and than they send me home?
I still have back pain, and pressure, and now I THINK I am getting contrations-but I'm scared to drive up to the hospital an HOUR away, for them to send me home again :((

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That sounds pretty common. Is it your first baby? I was at a 4 for two weeks with my third baby.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 8:40 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yeah, I was 4cm at 38 weeks with my first... I didn't deliver til I was 42 weeks! If you think you are having contractions time them and call the doctor. See what they say. It's normal at this point for you to be nervious.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:43 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Time them and see, they need to be 3-5 minutes apart for at least an hour! If this continues make the call and get in the car and make the drive. Try to relax and maybe even rest if you can. If anything changes...like your water breaks or something like that then call immediately!!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:45 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Because you can walk around like that for hours (or it can be pre-labor and will be irregular and not be the real thing for days). It is GOOD that they sent you home. Your labor will progress more efficiently. If you go in too early they put you on a clock, rush you, and that leads to a cascade of intrventions. I'd wait.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:12 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• That's actually fairly common. How far apart are your contractions? Here is when you should go to the hospital.
    If your contractions are longer, stronger and closer together.
    If your contractions are 5 minutes apart.
    If your water breaks.
    Good luck to you and your family, and congratulations! :)
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:22 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• they kept me when i was 4cm and i was only 37 weeks, had my baby the next day
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I also live an hour from the hospital and understand about not wanting to drive back just to be sent all the way home. My Doc suggested if I think Im close to drive to town and just wonder around.
    mandarellee

Answer by mandarellee at 10:21 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• As long as you are not in active labor there is no reason at all to be in the hospital. Being 4 cm dilated doesnt mean that you are in labor.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:59 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It doesnt matter how dilated you are. You need cervical change in order to be in labor. I got sent home at 5cm. They need to see some sort of change after walking, like effacement, dilation of a lower station. If you arent making change then the contractions arent doing anything and there is absolutely no reason to stay in the hospital
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009