When do the tantrums stop =/

My 11 month old daughter is starting to go through the "toddler transition". She screams and whines, gets easily frustrated, wants to feed herself and make a mess, says NO all the time, thrashes and cries when diaper changing and clothes changing, screams in the car, throws her food and toys, and just wants everything her way. It was cute at first...for about the first 2 days. Now it's just annoying. I kow it's a normal part of every child's development, but it's a lot more frustrating that I thought it was going to be. When does it pass???

Crystal2509

Asked by Crystal2509 at 8:37 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It will pass when you make her understand she will not get her way. JMO
    Children have fits because you let them.JMO

Answer by louise2 at 8:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My DD has been this way for almost 6 mos. I guess we started the transition earlier than expected. My DD doesn't get her way and we make her understand that what we are doing isn't an option. Feeding herself and making a mess is normal. They have to do that. The screaming in the car and thrashing at diaper changes and getting dressed is not to be put up with. Just put your foot down and start ignoring or punishing these tantrums. We just had one at breakfast and we stopped breakfast and moved onto playing but w/o our normal snack of cheerios to go with it. I feel that if a tantrum ensues you can't reward. I wish you luck and I hope this stops soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:54 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I would love to say it stops, in all reality it doesn't. There are just different phases they go through, as long as you make it clear that they do not get there way by throwing fits and that it is not acceptable to act that way you can get a handle on most of the tantrums. At 11 months ignoring her is the most recommended way to make her realize that she is not getting her way. By not getting your attention, good or bad, she will eventually realize it doesn't work. I have a 5 year old and 1 year old and I have walked out of the room or sent my 5 year old to her room until the tantrum is over. My 1 year old has just started tantrums and I will ignore them as best I can.

As far as feeding herself and making a mess, that is normal. This is a good time for healthy finger foods. Fun stuff. I find putting an oversized towel down under the highchair helps for an easy clean-up. Good luck, I feel your pain.
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 11:31 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i still throw fits every once in a while, and i'm 27! hehee

just try to remember that her feelings are just as big and as real as yours are. she just doesn't have the same "filters" you use to control your emotions.

kids need a safe place to feel what they feel. try to give her that.
    mamarootoo

Answer by mamarootoo at 2:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2009