Is it just me or is this crazy?

My dad was watching the news a few days ago and the reporter said the most common vitamin deficiency in kids is vitamin D. And the way to cure it is 15 mins a day in the sun. I know from a thesis I did in college that everyone has an adequate amount of vit. d in their body. But the sun activates it. Is it sad that such an easily utalized vitamin has become such a deficient vitamin? Is it a sign of our times?

Goldie_And_Luke

Asked by Goldie_And_Luke at 8:44 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• It is sad. Kids would rather be inside playing video games. My DS is 15 months and I try to take him outside at least a little while everyday. Somedays it is too hot! But hopefully he will never be a TV and video game kid.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 8:55 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Vitamin D defiency has a lot to do with where you live too. I live in south Florida so we get plenty of Vitamin D. I was watching Dr. Oz and he said if you live in places like Chicago chances are you don't get enough because the lack of sunshine
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:21 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Thats the thing though.. Your body HAS the vitamin in it. Its just a matter of getting in the sun to activate it. People think they need to take vit. d supplements but all that does is potentially create jaundice. Your liver stores vit. d and the sun tells the body to use it. A backup of vit. d can cause an overload of biliirubin. Everyone gets a lot of vit. d from narural reaources but it means nothing if you dont get sun light.
    Goldie_And_Luke

Answer by Goldie_And_Luke at 9:26 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• That's a very sad statement about our children. My kids love to be outside. One thing that irritates me with the babysitter is she always says "It's too hot for them to be outside." So I always come back with "then let them play outside in the morning before it gets too hot." (Our hottest time of the day is late afternoon). I grew up in South Florida and trust me it gets HOT there but my parents never said "It's too hot!" We weren't allowed to just hang around inside all day every day. Different times back then I guess!
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• there was a study we took part in here through our childrens hospital about that.

Parents are going so overboard to protect their children from the sun, kids sitting inside playing computers and stuff aren't getting the required amounts of vitamin d and ending up with Rickets -which is a softening of bones in children potentially leading to fractures and deformity. Rickets is among the most frequent childhood diseases in many developing countries but making an alarming comeback in developed countries

let the kids out of the bubbles, kick the kids out of the house. my kids spend the morning outside, and then inside for the hot part of the day, then back out in the later afternoon.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:31 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• There's actually new research available. Basically, everyone is deficient, unfortunately. It's not from keeping kids "in a bubble". Anyone noticed recess is a thing of the past? Kids spend most of the day in school and then in activites, not as much outside in the sun.

My kids are outside at least 4 hours a day, and I am deficient. I am obviously outside with them.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:37 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Hmmm...I am confused about Dr. Oz's answer. I live in Wisconsin, about 6 hours North of Chicago, and we get plenty of sun. I do think it's sad that kids aren't playing outside more. I let my kids play outside in the morning when the damaging rays aren't very strong, and then sunscreen them up for the rest of the day. I can see it becoming a problem in late winter, when our temps go well below 0. But I would think letting them play near a sunny window would help with that.
    KadenTaeasmom

Answer by KadenTaeasmom at 10:37 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Apexmommy, just as in everything else in the world, there are exceptions. Vitamin D in itself has nothing to do with the sun. The sun just activates it in our bodies. Therefore, if you never get out in the sun your body will have too much vitamin d that is dormant in your body making you deficient. On the other end, you can be outdoors 24/7 and unless your consuming vitamin d in your diet you'll still be dificient. Does that make better sense?
    Goldie_And_Luke

Answer by Goldie_And_Luke at 10:58 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Everything is extremes. Either you are sitting in your basement on the computer or your burnt to a crisp! I tell my friends all the time that just because your children have a tan that does not make them healthy. I do not think there is anything healthy in a tan. You might think you look good, but that is it.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yes, I think it's sad. And it's not just from keeping kids inside but now a days most people lather up with sunblock every single time they walk out the door which blocks the reaction.
    I doubt my kids have a deficiency, at least not in the summer. I live in Chicago and we get plenty of sunshine up here in the summer. My 3 kids got a horrible sunburn yesterday despite putting sunblock on. On a normal day, though, they don't use sunblock. They get plenty of sunshine and fresh air and exercise in the summer.
    In the winter I would probably have to use supplements because it's either too cold to go outside or it's not very sunny. But we sure don't have a lack of sunshine in the summer.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:55 AM on Aug. 10, 2009