Is there a reason I smell 'down there'?

I'm 29 weeks pregnant and my discharge has been so annoying that I've been having to bring an extra pair of panties with me and shower at least 2 times a day. About a week ago I noticed a foot like smell coming from that area (and it wasn't my feet). Is this normal and because of the discharge? I don't feel like I have an infection.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• call it "swamp crotch". Unless the discharge is a strange color or looks like cottage cheese (or if you are itching and it is burning) its not likely an infection. The smell is likely you sweating more than usual. The vagina (it is okay to say vagina by the way :) ) as a self cleaning. During pregnancy with the increased blood flow and fluid in your body it is just more pronounced.

Instead of changing my whole underwear and sitting on plastic all day, I use cloth pantyliners. That way I can always stay fresh without chaning panties all the time and it is easy to wash the cloth with the rest of the undies or by hand. Instead of showering several times a day, I just do a quick freshen-up with a washcloth and some water (avoid soaping the area for a fresh up -- too much soap is not good). If I'm not going anywhere I go "Commando" with a long skirt (I let the lady fly free for air flow). Air is good!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:08 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It's normal...I've had a change of odor down there with my first and second pregnancy...it's really annoying! I'm 34 weeks right now with my second and have had a lot of white discharge. Just wear panty liners. All's you can do is deal with it and shower more often! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It sounds pretty normal to me. If your prenatal appts are going well and you don't have any itching or burning, then I wouldn't worry about it. Odor and discharge is OC during pregnancy! If you are really concerned, you could always ask your doc.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:46 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Amileegirl, Thank you for your suggestions. I finally got pantyliners and it's been helping a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2009