When Can Babies Have Crackers/Cheerios?

My son is 8 months and one week old. Everyone (friends/family) is constantly trying to get me to feed him stage 3+ more advanced type foods like crackers and cheerios (he currently eats stage two and things that dissolve very quickly). What makes it worse is that my husband just read in our baby book that kids my son's age are **sometimes** eating crackers and cheerios. I told my husband and everyone else that he shouldn't be eating that stuff until he has more teeth (he has two that are half-way in on the bottom, that's it). It still isn't stopping people from trying to shove food down his throat. I walked in the kitchen this morning only to see my husband throw a handful of cheerios down on my son's tray and my son grab one, choke on it and vomit all over the place.

Am I wrong here?

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 9:05 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I opporate under the theory that I'm raising my kids and no one needs to tell me how to do it. Your hubby shouldn't have given your son cheerios or at least not a handful. I suspect DS put as many as he could into his mouth and that is why he choaked. One at a time with mom or dad there watchin until he gets better at it.

Anyway, no baby was ever harmed by not getting finger foods at "exactly the right time" You know your son trust yourself.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• If you're not going to give him food until he has teeth to chew, he's going to be over a year old. Teeth don't matter! He's not going to chew with his front teeth, he will chew with his molars and the first set doesn't come in until about a year.

We started finger and table foods at 6 months. Stage 3 foods are a waste of money, start finger and table foods instead. Think of it...you get a mouth of "slime" then swallow only to find a chunk in your throat!! (choking hazard!)

You have to do what you think is right for your son, but you also have to give him a chance to learn how to eat real food. Start with those dissolving puffs they sell...they dissolve before he could choke. And remember there is a difference between choking and gagging. Gagging is how they learn to get food unstuck by themselves. Choking is when that piece is STUCK and he CANNOT get it out by himself.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Well, my pedi told me when my daughter got her first tooth and could sit up on her own, it would be about time to start food that she could chew a little on. She hasn't gotten any teeth yet, but she eats teething crackers and Gerber Puffs. Every now and then I give her stage 3 food. (She's 7 months old) If you're not ready, then hold out a little longer. If "everyone" must give him food to chew on, get a bottle of Gerber Puffs. They're cereal pieces but they dissolve fairly quickly so there's less of a chance to choke on them. And ANY time you give him solid food, you should be sitting right in front of him, just in case he does choke. I only give my daughter one puff at a time. But I also have to hand-feed it to her. She's got her pincer grasp, but she can't figure out how to drop it in her mouth. Lol.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Sometimes the gag reflex is strong enough to cause some vomiting. That's not really all that unusual especially if he's not had any real food yet to experiment with.

Take it for what it's worth though. At 8 months, all three of my boys were almost done with baby food and completely on table foods. If you can mash it between your tongue and the roof of your mouth, he can DEFINITELY chew it with his gums. His teeth, in or not, don't have anything to do with it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:16 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Babies get teeth at various ages. Just because your son only has two bottom teeth does NOT mean he won't have top teeth-and very soon! They could pop in at any time! I don't think you should let people pressure you into feeding your son cheerios and stuff like that. I think you should wait to feed him those until he has at least one top tooth. That's just advice from my end. Don't let anybody bully you into doing something the "right" way. He's your son-do what feels right to you. To heck with everyone else and what they think-this isn't their child.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:17 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i take care of a 6 month old and his mom ahs him on soft table food and crackers...for liquids he gets 2-3 bottles of formula and juice
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:05 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I don't know the right or wrong time for your son, but with my 1st I was SUPER paranoid about choking, and cheeries looked GIGANTIC to me, so I started her on rice krispies so I could keep my sanity, lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:18 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We've started cheerios/crackers at 7 months old. My son is 10mo old now and still only has his two bottom teeth, he's off all baby food and is only on table food. He had steak last night no problem.

They don't get their chewing teeth until much later. My daughter didn't get her molars until she was nearly 2 but she was off baby food by 8 months. You just gotta start slow and let them get used to textures and chewing.

Start with Puffs, they dissolve really fast.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 10:25 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My son started Cheerios at about 9-months. He still has no teeth at 10.5-months. We've been giving him table food for over a month, now.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 10:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2009