potty training expert needed!!

My four year old REFUSES to use the potty. She knows when she has to go. She will tell me sometimes that she has to pee, but that is few and far between. She knows when she has to poop also, because she'll hide under the table and do it in her pull up. The only way I can get her to poop in the potty is catch her in the act, make sure she hasnt already done it in her pull up, and take her. I've tried the panties, she dosent care. She would walk around in them all day wet, and she still pooped in them! I really have tried EVERYTHING. I think she may just be strong willed and stubborn. I have no clue where she gets THAT from :) lol. Anyone else going through this or that has gone through this? Any suggestions?

Asked by blueeyedgirls at 4:39 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try to keep her bottom naked all day long, since she doesn't care if she has panties; and if you can, stay with her most of the time just to see any sign of the "business", #1 or #2 and take her straight to the bathroom. I took a whole weekend to focus on this matter and stayed with her all the time naked, it gave her a big idea on what to do and from that point on was just maintence, with some accidents of corse.

Answer by anapatita7 at 7:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I havent been in this situation but if my daughter, who will be four this Sept, refused to go on the toilet Id put her back in "baby" diapers and treat her like a baby. No big girl shows, no big girl snacks, if she has freinds... no friends. Take away all her big girl privledges until shes a big girl. Shes old enough to know the difference.

Answer by dstny1998 at 5:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• when i was potty training my oldest i ordered the book from this website: i found it really helpful. she had just turned 3 and she was literally potty trained in a weekend.

Answer by TalamascaX at 5:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• i totally agree with the first poster. unless there is a physical problem, which i have assumed you've ruled out, i would take away ALL big girl items and give her only baby toys, baby clothes, baby pursuits. id treat her like a baby, feed her like a baby, and make it clear that being a big girl means we act like a big girl about potty business too.

Answer by anniekelleher at 9:58 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• i've tried that also, treating her like a baby i mean. it probably would've worked, but she liked it! she has 2 younger sisters that pretty much are babies. so she likes pretending and being like them. then i had to go through the thing about how we feed ourselves all over again. that kinda confused her. this isnt the first time trying, she was really starting to get the hang of it a few years ago, but then her sister was born. ever since then it has been a pain trying to get her to go potty. she fights with me about going and everything. i have to practically drag her in there and by then she's already done.

Answer by blueeyedgirls at 10:58 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• omgosh! anapatita7 thank you! i started trying it this morning as soon as she woke up, i never even attempted to put the pull up or panties on her, and she's been using the potty! everytime, no accidents yet! she comes up to me says mommy i need to- and then whichever she needs to do, and she's been going by herself. :) makes me VERY happy!!

Answer by blueeyedgirls at 2:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2008