My breasts are leaking??

My son is 2 and 1/2 years old and even at that I was only able to breastfeed him for about 6 weeks when he was a baby. All of a sudden, this morning I woke up and my nipples are leaking what looks to be milk? Has this happened to anybody? What is going on? (I am almost positive I couldn't be pregnant, I have an IUD in place)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Health

• not sure----I have never heard of that happening that long after quitting breastfeeding. i'd almost say maybe it's a weird hormonal side effect from the IUD?? But still kind of a stretch. I think you should ask your doc.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:24 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I'm still lactating and I haven't breastfed my son in over a year....I figure it's my horomones because it seems to be worse when I'm ovulating and on my period.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:47 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It is more than likely hormonal. My mother who is 59 is having this same problem and she hasn't had a baby in 36 years! The doctor is going to do tests, but says that it IS NOT likely to be due to cancer since it wasn't greenish in color. So, I would call your doctor to let them know that it is happening, but don't be too worried unless the color changes. From what I read, the IUD does have hormones in it so that could just be causing this to happen.
    Allegra360

Answer by Allegra360 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It can take years for your milk to dry up completely. My MIL leaked milk until her youngest was 16, when she start menopause. It just depends on the woman, for most it takes about 6mos to a year though.
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I've done this and still can on occasion. I have to squeeze mine to get stuff out, but I got curious one day and saw that I was "lactating" again and start freaking out thinking I was pregnant. It was nothing... I think once you've breastfed or had a baby in general this can happen from time to time when hormones fluctuate. As long as it doesn't smell or have a strange color, it's probably nothing...but as someone said, see your doctor to make sure.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009