Is it bad to give baby breastmilk AND formula?

Im not producing much milk so i have been giving her breast and formula mostly formula. will my supply ever get to be big enough for the baby?

FirstMomAnt

Asked by FirstMomAnt at 9:25 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the more you pump and/or nurse, the more milk you will get. Your supply increased with constant use. In the meantime there is nothing wrong with occasional supplementing. Nipple confusion happens sometimes with newborns, but it's not serious.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:26 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• No it's not bad to do that. Some breast milk is better than no breast milk. When my son was born I was producing enough to keep him happy but after a month I wasn't so I slowly switched to formula as my supply went away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Not at all. ANY breastmilk that you can give your child is beneficial. The more they get, the better it is. I had a breast reduction in 02 and my last child was born in 06. I knew that I wouldnt lactate all that much but I wasnt sure exactly how much milk I would get. I was able to pump about 4 oz a day of them and so once a day my son got a breast milk bottle in the evening after pumping 3 times during the day. His ped said that it was great that I could get even that much out of them and to do it as long as I could. I did that for about 2-3 weeks and then they finally just stopped producing. So he got both, and I was happy for the little bit. I did even get him to latch in the beginning and even though there was nothing there, we got that time together. We bonded in other ways though and even though I was sad about it, we did what we could. Just give him what you can until you can better establish your supply.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:36 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• it isn't necessarilly bad but if you keep doing it expecially during growth spurts than no you supply will not get big enough for baby. You have to nurse on demand in order to build up your supply. If anything it is going to get smaller. In the first few months it's going to seem like your baby is constantly hungry every other week and she will want to nurse on the hour every hour don't worry when they do that because they aren't starving they are building your supply. So if your worried about your supply i would most definately offer the breast before the bottle a minimum 15 minutes per side and than if you feel like she needs formula than give her some. but really in all honesty if you want a sufficiant supply formula will not help at all. it will only hinder it.
    jenniamigo

Answer by jenniamigo at 9:47 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You can do both. However, supplimenting with formula will reduce your supply. If you want to build it, every time you feed formula, be sure to pump as well. Or have your child nurse, then offer formula when he is done. I did both for a few weeks then went just to formula as the pain was unbearable. Hope you have better luck! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Its better to give breastmilk and formula than no breastmilk at all, BUT the only way you will not produce enough milk is if you don't nurse enough..only 1-3% of women have a medical condition that will prohibit proper milk production, the others are because doctors, family or friends gave bad info as far as milk supply. Your milk supply is perfect for your child if you nruse everytime for as long as baby wants as often as baby wants. Heres info on supply
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#supply
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i nurse my baby every hr on the hr and sometimes more when she came home for the hospitable and i pumped when i went back to work but by the time she was 3 months old my supply couldnt keep up with her so i dont believe in the more they eat the more u'll produce b/c my dd ate all the time and i had to waen her befor i wanted to its not a bad thing to suppliment at least this way u now howmany ounces she is eating at one time and she is getting full with each feeding
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:00 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I wasn't making enough milk for my son breastfeeding. I would get in contact with a lactation consultant (available at your hospital? or la leche league?) and ask them about a supplementer. It's a very thin tube that you attach to your breast with surgical tape when feeding - formula goes into the bottle attached to the tube, but you latch baby onto your breast. That way, there's no nipple confusion (it's yours), he's getting the nutrition he needs, and your breasts are getting the stimulation that will increase your supply. I used it for a couple of weeks and then have been able to successfully breastfeed since then. It's a little bit of a hassle - but SO worth it, considering how important I think breastfeeding is for me and my baby.

Answer by missanc at 10:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• well i must be in the 1-3%! i pumped for like 2 months and only got maybe an oz total ! so i gave her that but had t give formula as well
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I did both.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:20 AM on Aug. 10, 2009