Homeschool vs. public school studies?

Last night someone was saying that studies say homeschooled kids did a whole list of things better than public school kids. I would like to see this info.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in

• Me too, but don't worry about it. People just like to start crap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• College Professor Critiques Homeschoolers
    copyright 2009 by Greg Landry, M.S.

I teach sophomore through senior level college students - most of them are "pre-professional" students. They are preparing to go to medical school, dental school, physical therapy school, etc.

As a generalization, I've noticed certain characteristics common in my students who were homeschooled. Some of these are desirable, some not.

Desirable characteristics:

1. They are independent learners and do a great job of taking initiative and being responsible for learning. They don't have to be "spoon fed" as many students do. This gives them an advantage at two specific points in their education; early in college and in graduate education.

2. They handle classroom social situations (interactions with their piers and professors) very well. In general, my homeschooled students are a pleasure to have in class. They greet me when the enter the

Answer by rkoloms at 9:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• class, initiate conversations when appropriate, and they don't hesitate to ask good questions. Most of my students do none of these.

3. They are serious about their education and that's very obvious in their attitude, preparedness, and grades.

Areas where homeschooled students can improve:

1. They come to college less prepared in the sciences than their schooled counterparts - sometimes far less prepared. This can be especially troublesome for pre-professional students who need to maintain a high grade point average from the very beginning.

2. They come to college without sufficient test-taking experience, particularly with timed tests. Many homeschooled students have a high level of anxiety when it comes to taking timed tests.

My advice to homeschooling parents:

1. If your child is even possibly college bound and interested in the sciences, make sure that they have a solid foundation of science in the high

• school years.

2. Begin giving timed tests by 7th or 8th grade. I think it is a disservice to not give students timed tests. They tend to focus better and score higher on timed tests, and, they are far better prepared for college and graduate education if they've taken timed tests throughout the high school years.

In the earlier years the timed tests should allow ample time to complete the test as long as the student is working steadily. The objective is for them to know it's timed yet not to feel a time pressure. This helps students to be comfortable taking timed tests and develops confidence in their test-taking abilities.

Greg Landry is a 14 year veteran homeschool dad and college professor. He also teaches one and two semester online science classes, and offers free 45 minute online seminars..

http://www.HomeschoolScienceAcademy.com

• Yeah that's a study, lmfao
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• There are no actual studies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Greg Landry is a 14 year veteran homeschool dad and college professor. He also teaches one and two semester online science classes, and offers free 45 minute online seminars.

So if a college professor who sent his kids to public school came out and said how public school kids were superior to home school kids would that mean anything. This is nothing more than one guy's opinion.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I think it depends on the person teaching the child. In schools as well as at home some do better than others... Myself, I couldn't homeschool our kids, it wouldn't be fair to them. I stay active in school and make it a point to stay in touch with each teacher. I think parental involvement goes a long way no matter what you choose to do...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:36 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My son is an only child for me to homeschool him would cause him alot of problems. He is a very social child and he gets that at school. We don't have alot of kids around our house we live in a wooded community with alot of vacation homes. He is also going to take trumpet lessons which are free. If it weren't for the school he wouldn't have thought to do it and even if he did we can't afford private lessons. I have a BS in Early Childhood Education I could teach him but I wouldn't be very affective at this stage of his schooling because I don't have the training. I am not saying you need to be trained but it does help. I also can work with other children better then I work with my own son. I know it is sad. Homeschool for those that do it, go for it but not every child benefits from it.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• http://family-parenting.savvy-cafe.com/home-school-statistics-prove-its-success-2008-02-22/comment-page-1/

You can check some statistics here, or google it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2009