Do you think it is OK to home school even if you can't afford outside activities?

I think about home schooling put I can't afford tons of outside activities for my son to meet new people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in

• shcool isn't about activities, it's about teaching
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• The idea that you have to spend tons of money to homeschool is one created by the people that sell home school items.
    It will take a little work on your part, but create your own FREE play groups. Use CM, or yahoo groups, or even an ad in you r local paper, to find other homeschool Mom's in your area. Have friends, family, nieghborhood kids over as much as you can. Contact your cities local rec dept. They often offer fee waivers if you meet income guildlines.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 9:43 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• 4-H is usually free, going to the park is free, many community athletic leagues will offer help paying for their fees.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Most homeschool groups are free or have a nominal charge to join. Park days are free, most field trips are inexpensive or free, library programs are free.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We homeschool 3 children on a VERY tight budget. Most of our "extra-curricular" activities are free. We go to the park (free), we go to the lake (ok, there is a $2 per car parking fee), we go to homeschool group ($10 a year in dues), soccer for the fall time ($60 for both of our boys), AWANA's (free), cub scouts ($10 a year in dues, books and uniforms, but we are finding hand me downs to cut the cost), 4-H is free as well. There are a lot of things you can do that cost little to no money.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 1:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yeah, I can't say I ever heard anyone complaining homeschool is expensive lol. My friend's sister was homeschooled (long drawn out reason) and my sister in law was homeschooled her freshmen year because of pregnancy. My friend's mom was a stay at home with a disabled son and her elderly grandmother living with her. My in-laws had a decent amount of money. So, you can do it regardless. My friend's mom was always signing her daughter up from free activities. She is the only city girl I know who's been in a 4-H competition :-)
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• "Outside activities" don't have to cost much --- or anything at all. Dig a little -- do your research, girl! LOL There is a TON of stuff your children could do.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Absolutely! You don't need a lot of money to homeschool. I did it for years with no 'extra' money. We still found lots of supplemental activities to do. Our libraries offer free programs and social hours for different ages, museums have free days & some are free all the time, our homeschool group has free park days, clubs, and discounted field trips, local nature centers offer free programs, etc. Around here we have chess clubs, birdwatching clubs, gardening clubs, Magic & Yugioh clubs, manga & anime clubs, Webkinz clubs, 4-H clubs, and more. You can also find volunteer opportunities at animal shelters, nursing homes, museums, farms, etc. I would suggest you start with what your son likes to do and build opportunities for meeting new people around that.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 7:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I can't imagine that the outside activities would cost much less than the field trips, dues, PTA and yearbook fees in public school. I dunno though I don't home school. I know our community center has low cost ' dance socials' every Friday night for kids ages 11-15. The parks have play grounds for younger kids. A lot of churches have low cost sports programs. Like other said just look around I'm sure your town has something! Good luck with the home schooling!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• ask around. I know when we lived up by Philadelphia the zoo, aquarium and the local gym all offered free time to homeschoolers every so often. Good luck finding things in your area.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 11, 2009