What is a good starter credit card?

just to build a credit history?

mama28th

Asked by mama28th at 9:39 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• i know one that's not, ASPIRE VISA they will screw you over.... capital one has always been really good
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• pretty much anything except for a store credit card.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Uh, no, Capital one is not good. They have really high interest rates and high starter fees. If your a student, the Discover Student card is nice. Or any Discover card for that matter.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:46 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• IMO, there are no good credit cards.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my old fashion advice is..... DONT get a credit card. In my opinion credit cards dont actually help you. If you are wanting to build a solid credit repore...save approximately 1000.00 put it in a CD at the bank that your wanting to do business with. after its been on file at the bank a couple of months, go take out a personal loan of 800.00 using the CD as collateral. put the 800.00 into a checking account...dont touch it except to make the payments of the loan. Use the 800 to pay the loan off within 3-6 months. You still have the CD & just started a direct line of credit with your bank. Wait approximately 3 months, do it again...same steps. In the mean time go to another bank, start another savings account...save 1000.00, start the process at that bank. Dont get the two banks crossed. DO NOT miss a timed payment. Once you have done this process at 3 different banks for 3 loans each you can get just about anything. continu
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 10:33 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I know that sounds like a really big hassle and unlike credit cards its not instant. But your not out alot of interest money invested into a company who doesnt know you. By going directly into the bank getting to know the loan officers, ect it becomes personal...it is still a who ya know world not a whatcha know world...believe it or not. Once they know you, see you credit report and your willingness to believe in their bank as a customer...they will believe in you. My "momma advice" is to save for what your wanting to buy, even a car. You should have only two loans at the bank...a house and maybe, maybe a car loan. That is all. Maybe one credit card, for traveling purposes..but even at that I just dont like credit cards. You dont need credit if you have cash! Save! You cant loose things that are already paid for. Think about it... Momma speach over...LOL! Hugs!
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 10:42 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I love my capital one card. I get cash back since I pay off every month and my limit is only 500$ so there really isn't that much risk of going crazy with it... I did eventually end up with a card with a limit of 10,000 BAD BAD BAD mistake!!! Whatever you do, whatever card you use KEEP A LOW LIMIT!
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 10:58 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I would say don't get one. It is such a waste of money. I wish I would have had that advice a long time ago! You are using somebody else's money and then they charge you more than you spent. If you can save and pay cash for stuff, you don't necessarily need a credit score. If you are looking to buy a house, a letter from your landlord and the fact that you pay your utilities on time will look just as good. Also, if you are going to buy a house, not having a credit card looks better because if you have a high credit max and you have paid it off, it will hurt you in the end because that is a risk... basically, if they loan you the money to get a house, and you have 5K credit limit, the bank looks at the possibility that you are going to turn around and charge it up furnishing your new house. We have not used cc in over a year. We are now working on paying off our cars. Imagine what we can do with that 900 per month! I can't wait
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 2:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My target visa card was my first card, I think I got it when I was 21. they have decent apr.
    I got an express store card before that. I like that store card for the coupons. I only buy when I get coupons now.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Check out http://www.bankrate.com/credit-cards.aspx. You can compare credit cards. A credit card is a good way to build credit but only if you are responsible!! It takes a certain amount of maturity to use a credit card wisely. I use my credit card like a debit card. I don't charge something if I don't think I will pay it off w/in the month. I never carry a balance.
    A gas card is one way to go. Many offer rebates. The card I use, Chase BP card is awesome. The interest is ok but I get 1% rebates on all purchases and 5% off of all BP gas station purchases. I end up with a $25 check each month. But I PAY IT OFF EVERY MONTH!!!
    So, I say a credit card is just fine, if you are mature enough to realize that the money needs to be paid off w/in the month otherwise you are paying more for the items you purchased than what the price tag says.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 4:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2009