Best reasons for homeschooling?

I am not bashing...I can see the advantages of both public schooling and homeschooling...but for you moms who homeschool....just wondering what your reasons are.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Not every child learns the same way. There are at least 7 different learning styles and most classrooms are limited to teaching 3 learning styles. The ones that have trouble learning those ways just fall behind and often suffer self esteem issues.

One on one teaching is by FAR the best way for any child to learn. Even teachers will admit this fact.

Kids can progress at their own pace and aren't held back by waiting for the rest of the class to catch up or frantically scrambling to keep up when they don't understand a concept.

Then there's the safety, illness, bullying, molestation, peer pressure and other issues.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• For me, our schools are very overcrowded. Our poor teachers have 32 K's, and don't always have a teacher's aid. Our test scores go down year after year. I am unimpressed with their math curriculum (something I studied in college, so yes, I do know what i'm talking about there, I couldn't critique a reading curriculum). I do not want my children to spend 8 hours a day learning what they could do at home in 2. With those remaining 6 hours, we can go to the zoo, learn about the real world (grocery shopping, balancing check books, how to fix things around the house) and having good playdates / social activities, extra time in the park to just run and have fun, and so many other things. Homeschooling also matches up with college more, in that you spend a few hours in class and the majority of your time doing your own work (and being SELF motivated).

I think it's an individual decision, and different for every family.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:57 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• My kids aren't old enough for school yet and I plan to send them to public school but if I were to homeschool this would be why: No school shootings, less worry of diseases/infections, no bullying, watching them learn, no perverted teachers, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Because I love them and that is what works best for OUR family.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 10:48 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Well I work full time so unfortunatly I will send my kids to PS... But I was HS and the best reason for me was that I could go at my own pace and it made me hate school less. Not to be arrogant but I could get all of the work done in two hours or so. My mom did send me to school once and while I loved the friends I made (and am actually still freinds with most of them years later) I HATED it because it was sooooo boring for me.... I had to sit the entire day and do work that I could have done in two hours. I hated it so much that it made me hate school were as before I kinda liked school.... Atfer a year I talked my mom into letting me do the sports at the school (volley ball and basketball) but letting me do the school work at home and that worked for us. Bad memories now of just sitting there bored out of my mind... ugh
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 11:15 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• When we homeschooled, these were our reasons---

Child can work at their own pace
    Child can take the initiative to look further into a topic that interested them
    Child will be taught to read in a way that I know works (heavy emphasis on phonics)
    Child will be taught math facts in a way that I know makes sense, not just memorization of them, but actual understanding.

Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:34 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Because I like my kids and want what I feel is best for them. Because I like to be around them. Because when we homeschool my kids grow emotionally. They feel secure. When we did public school they regressed and hated it. :/
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• We are starting this year because my 4th grade daugther and my 8th grade son, are being Left Behind by the very law that is supposed to prevent it. My DD is a smart little girl, when she lets herself be. But when she doesn't know an answer she starts to have a panic attack. She still cannot subtract by borrowing and this year they will move on and finish not only multiplication but division. So, because she's on an IEP, they just pass her on to the next grade without helping her through vital learning skills. My daughter may not need to know Algebra by the time she's in 7th grade, but I know damn well she needs subtraction and basic math.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• So, monkeyberry, those of us who don't homeschool don't love our kids?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2009