Does your child's school have an "open door policy" for parents when it comes to visiting the school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in

• Not really. I guess you could go sign in but they expect you to have a reason to be there, not to just wander around and peek in the door. That's distracting to the kids. To volunteer you have to be vetted first (background check and take a 3 hour class that my friend says is stupid and pointless). You can't volunteer for any activity that might involve kids unless you do the class that includes class parties, field trips or working Bingo night at the church.
    I've never had an urge to go visit my kids while they were in class and would have hated if my mom did that to me when I was a kid. When I was in 2nd grade she was a helper in the kindergarten and I was always so embarrassed when she would wave to me in the hall.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Yes, our school does. We just have to go in through the office and sign in and put on a visitor badge. We are able to come up for lunch or any other time to visit. I can't imagine a school that doesn't have an open door policy, I would think they have something to hide.... Scary.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:53 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• you mean to go in and just visit? or to volunteer and take part in the class as teacher helper?
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:18 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

Answering to your question our school does not accept volunteers neither allows parents to visit the classroom only outside in the cafeteria.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Our childrens school encourages it. We just have to sign in, get a pass and then we can stay all day if we want. I have 3 in school this year so I'm sure I will be spending a lot of time at school.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:31 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Our school doesn't. We have to be invited by the teacher. It is to keep the kids safe. I don't feel comfortable seeing adults walking around the halls. There are to many things that go on these days. We do allow them to come if there is an event but for everyday stuff no. To volunteer you have to submit an application. I like it that way.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 10, 2009