mucous plug

when about do you lose your mucous plug? how long after that (about) does your water break? i'm curious since i'm 31 weeks along...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I lost mine at around 34 weeks for all three pregnancies. once you start dialating it will come out. but dialation doesn't always mean labour will follow.

#1 was 41 weeks, #2 was 39weeks and not sure about #3 as I didn't have a 'real' date and was labouring unproductively for 6weeks before I was induced at what the dr decided was 39weeks. I was dialated 3cm for the last few weeks with each.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:12 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• oh and I had to have my water broken for all three at hospital
    hypermamaz

• you can lose it as early as 33 weeks or so, or you may not lose it at all until right before your water breaks. i was induced and the mucous plug only fell out then. lol usually though you'll lose it 2 weeks-a few days before you go into labor.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:13 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I don't know when i lost my mucus plug for my first two, but my 3rd baby i lost it around 37wks. and was 31/2cm dialated until i was 381/2wks when i gave birth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i started losing mine around 34 weeks, i'm 36 weeks now and only 2cm dilated, the doctor isn't going to let me go past 39 weeks due to me being preggo with a HUGE baby
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• When I had my first I had lost the mucus plug around a week or two before I had her. I was induced with her and they broke my water during labor.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 11:09 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• With my first, I lost my plug at 36 or 37 weeks and no labor by my scheduled C-section at 39 weeks. With my second, I lost my plug at 39 weeks 5 days and went into labor the next night, and the doctor broke my water at the hospital.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:29 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I lost mine at 31 weeks but I would say its most common to lose it around 36 or 37 weeks. But losing your plug not only has nothing to do with labor nearing, it also has NOTHING to do with your water breaking!!! Water doesnt typically break until contractions are strong enough to force too much pressure from the baby to your cervix which has the bag of waters in between them so it breaks. Its like squeezing a water balloon, the pressure makes it pop.

But quite often, actually more often then not, the OB/midwife breaks the water during labor around 5 or 6 cm
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2009