Opposition to mulibillion $$$ plan to buy planes for govy officals?

WASHINGTON -- Bipartisan opposition is emerging in the Senate to a plan by House lawmakers to spend $550 million for additional passenger jets for senior government officials.

The resistance to buying eight Gulfstream and Boeing planes comes as members of both chambers of Congress embark on the busiest month of the year for official overseas travel. The plan to upgrade the fleet of government jets, which was included in a broader defense-funding bill, has also sparked criticism from the Pentagon, which has said it doesn't need half of the new jets.

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 10:22 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "The whole thing kind of makes me sick to my stomach," said Mrs. McCaskill in an interview Sunday. "It is evidence that some of the cynicism about Washington is well placed -- that people get out of touch and they spend money likes it's Monopoly money."

Sen. John Thune (R., S.D.) says the planned purchase "is a classic example of Congress being out of touch with the realities of deficit spending."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/09/opposition-emerges-multimillion-dollar-plan-buy-planes-government-officials/

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:23 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• *facepalm*
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:23 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• And where pray tell are we supposed to pull the money for that from?

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:39 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Raising my hand as high as possible....THIS IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD ACTUALLY BE COMPLAINING ABOUT!!!
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:25 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I think it is funny that the Gov has blasted companies for buying corporate jets yet they want to blow money on this. I personally have no problem with corporate jets being built or bought the fact they are not right now has put half my family out of work. I just think it is hypocritcal of our Congress to want to do this when BO has told companies our Gov now runs to not to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• This pisses me off.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 12:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Hey sweet...check us out...we ARE agreeing!! WOOT WOOT!

Can NOT believe they think this is even CLOSE to a good time to do this.  Morning Joe said it right this morning....if the repubs will in office will lay low and not make any stupid comments the Dems are going to hang themselves!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Can NOT believe they think this is even CLOSE to a good time to do this. Morning Joe said it right this morning....if the repubs will in office will lay low and not make any stupid comments the Dems are going to hang themselves!!

It's a little late for the BIG FAT IF! LOL...Although this early , they could STFU with all the insanity and by election time they could turn it around. As it stands now, the repubs have lost record numbers of people..they could only win them back by being true fiscal conservatives and no more silliness (which means saying goodbye to the Sarah Palins of the party)...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It's ludicrous. A complete waste of money.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2009