My friend was just told that her 2 year old son is autistic. How can I help my friend get through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• When my son was diagnosed with Autism, my best friend lived in Germany. She was not physically able to be with me, but she did everything she could to be supportive-- she phoned me alot and let me talk and cry. She emailed me daily. I knew she was thinking of us, and her love and support meant the world to me.
    I think you need to give her a big hug and say "I am here for you, I care. If you want to talk I am here to listen". You may want to look up autism and find out more about it and be informed- my friend did that and sometimes she would mention the website she found that was helpful, or a book she had heard about....
    I thought it was nice that she did that and cared to find out more about what my son was going thru.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Not as seriouse but I had to help my sister deal with having a two year old diabetic and start doing shots and blood sugars, my advice just be there for her maybe do a little research so you know a little bit about it. Good Luck hun I know you can do it...
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• I would ask your friend what she needs. Maybe cook a meal for her family so she doesnt have to cook. I know any thing was appreciated that people did for me when my son was unexpectidly born with Down Syndrome. Just be there for her to help her through this. I know what helped me was looking up sucess strories of children with Down Syndrome. I used to work with children with Autism. It is a spectrum diagnosis and there is a range of abilities with Autism. I wish you guys all the best.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Just ask her if there is anything you can do. Seriously, the reactions to a dx of autism vary so greatly. You never know.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:25 AM on Aug. 10, 2009