Radian car seat for a 1 year old

Im looking at getting the sunshine kids radian for my one year old and (no bashing) I want to put her forward facing since she is heavy enough and tall enough. My question is though eventhough the radian says it for 20lbs baby it looks so big would it really be comfortable for a 1 year old? Also does anyone know what the difference is between the radian 65 and the radian 80?

lucysmommy28

Asked by lucysmommy28 at 10:33 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We just got one and my DD loves it. From my research the 65 goes to 65 pounds and the 80 goes to 80 pounds. That is what I have gathered from the Sunshine kids website. I think that the seat will weigh more than your child for a while. My 1 yo weighs 16 1/2 pounds and the seat is 28. I hope you get it and know that you will love it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:36 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Like the PP said, Radian 65 holds up to 65 lbs and Radian 80 holds up to 80 lbs. I have heard great things about the seats from lots of different mommas. Try visiting one of the car seat groups on here. They have TONS of information. Oh, and we're planning on putting our 3 kids in 3 of them. They will be 3, 18 months, and a newborn. It is the only way to fit 3 car seats in my car.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• There is no way a child will make it to 80lbs in the SKR 80, it is the same height as the SKR 65. If you are only going to FF I would get the SKR XT, it reduces forward head excursion (even more important if you are forward facing so soon.)

It is important to note that the SKR's don't fit well in all cars so if possilbe try it out first, or buy shipping insurance if it does not work.

Also your child may be big enough per current law, but unfortunatly the law has yet to catch up to current recommendations. The American Academy of Pediatrics does recommend that children rear face as long as possible but at least until the age of 2. http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/30/4/12-a
    There is no proven reason to switch to forward facing at 1 year.

~When we know better we do better~
    jkrew

Answer by jkrew at 1:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Oh also you wanted to know if it is too big for a 20lb child, No, these seats acutally fit newborns well, so a 20lb child would be perfectly comfortable
    jkrew

Answer by jkrew at 1:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2009