First Ultrasound

Today I am 9 weeks pregnant. Tomorrow we will be going for my first ultrasound! :) I'm so excited!!!! I am wondering if anyone can give me any tips, words of wisdom, or a heads up on what to expect. I know I have to drink 32 oz of water an hour before my appointment and can't use the bathroom until after my u.s.!!!!! Yikes!!!!! I'm sure it will be worth it! We are also telling our parents this week (we haven't told anyone yet). Big week for us!!! Thank you in advance for any tips you give me.

TP1283

Asked by TP1283 at 10:35 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they'll probally do a vaginal u/s
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• First? Why would you need more than one?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:37 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Everyone that I know who is pregnant has one in the beginning then at least one more to find out the sex (if they choose to)
    TP1283

Answer by TP1283 at 10:38 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• i had 3 ultrasounds with this pregnancy.... the 1st was at around 7 weeks to make sure there was actually a baby in there, the other at 20 weeks to determine the sex and another at around 32 weeks to check the fluid and size of the baby b/c i was having problems
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• For a normal, healthy pregnancy, why would you spend the money on more than one? It seems very wasteful to me.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:40 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Come on it's exciting not wasteful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• my insurance paid for all 3 of mine b/c it was a "medical necessity"
    they offer the 4-D ultrasounds at my ob's office but i'm not paying $150 for it
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Congratulations! I loved the experience of the first u/s.. it made it seem all so real and exciting! I had to have two bc the first one was to determine my due date (they could not get an accurate date for my last cycle bc I have endometriosis) and the second was to check up and determine the baby's sex. The u/s will be very awesome for you! If you can't tell much at 9 weeks don't feel bad- sometimes you can see very little when the fetus is that young, but it is still very awesome to see the heartbeat! Also, stay away from orange juice all day before the u/s bc it will make the baby jump and they will have a harder time measuring him/her! No one told me that the first time and the tech actually fussed at me for drinking oj lol! Good luck hon! :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:47 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• The first one makes it all seem that much more real! I had my first at 7 weeks and he looked like a little bean then.It was so exciting!
    mommytohuddy

Answer by mommytohuddy at 11:16 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• if its anything like my doc office i had 4 so far and another one thursday(b4 my csection).....its hard holding the water in....i mean as soon as she was done i ran to the restroom.....i am high risk so thats why i had so many....but yeah...right now itll look like a peanut with a lump(head) if your farther along then itll look more like baby....if your not it may just look like a blob....it never gets less exciting though...until your 28 weeks and dont have to drink the water before hand....then its great
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 10, 2009