My daycare provider wants my 12 month old down to one nap. He NEEDS two naps or he is so crabby! Should I just tell her this? Although I understand how she wants him on the same schedule of the other kids - I just don't think he's ready for it yet.

Nicole850

Asked by Nicole850 at 10:38 AM on Aug. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that if the day care provider can't do what is best for your child then you need to move and find someone that can. My 13 mo old still needs between 2 and 3 naps a day. That is what is best for her. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:40 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You're not going to like this but I would suggest to follow your childcare provider recommendations. They know what they are talking about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Bullcrapola. You are the mom. YOU know what is best. YOU make the decision.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• YOU'RE mommy. YOU know what your son needs!
    My husband didn't believe our son needed two naps a day (until 18 months!) until he spent several entire days with the child when I was out running errands. Needless to say, he stopped telling me our son only needed one nap a day. Mine actually sometimes needed 3 naps a day until he was 15 months or so.
    I'd tell her to "try" a one nap a day schedule for a week or so. Then discuss the issue again. I bet she understands better after giving the new schedule a trial run.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:57 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Is your son getting ready to move to a different room? At the last center I worked at, the children in Infant A (birth to 12 months) had to be down to one nap per day (along with other requirements) before moving onto the next room. This is because they are trying to get all of the children onto the same schedule for feeding, playing, learning and napping. The provider probably knows your child pretty well, assuming he/she has been around for a few months, but that doesn't mean you don't know your child best. I agree with the PP who told you to let the provider try a one nap a day for a week or two....who knows, the child may actually do fine, but if not stick to your guns and demand the 2 naps a day or find a center that will. While your provider is trying the 1 nap a day schedule I recommend that you continue it on the weekends. Also, try moving the bedtime back a half hour or hour and see how that affects the nap schedule.
    nikspineapple

Answer by nikspineapple at 11:09 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• Um tell her to get lost 2 naps are almost required for a 12month old. She should be happy that she is getting an extra break from 1 of the kids lol.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:22 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• You are the mom. You need to ensure that your daycare provider is respecting your wishes regarding your child! If she isn't, then I think you need to find another daycare provider.

If you *have* to stay with this lady, for whatever reason, then go ahead and do what some other moms on here have suggested, and try a trial run...the results will probably convince your daycare provider that your son isn't ready. Your child should not be pushed into things he's not ready for, just because it's more convenient for your daycare provider.
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 11:32 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• It's understandable that she wants them to all nap at one time, and it may be hard to get him down when the other kids are playing. If it's too much for her and like you say he still needs 2 then you may have to look for someone else.
    cormama

Answer by cormama at 1:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2009